Humax Foxsat-HDR - Reviews

Graham. 00:03 02 Dec 2008

Just had mine delivered from Comet. Please join in if you wish.

First impressions - The remote is quite big at 9". As it is most likely to be used for watching recorded or live programs that can be paused, the buttons to do this are small and not in a prominent position.

MCE2K5 00:17 02 Dec 2008

One Question Please,

Can you transfer recorded programs to a PC via the USB port?

Thinking of getting one soon.

Graham. 09:01 02 Dec 2008

Download the User's Manual click here

Graham. 15:31 02 Dec 2008

It has two USB ports, one on the front and one on the back. There is a File Manager to transfer recorded videos to an external drive. I don't know whether you can connect directly to a PC, I might try that later.

MCE2K5 16:07 02 Dec 2008

Thanks Graham.

Let me know more when you get to grips with it.

john bunyan 16:32 02 Dec 2008

Graham. I wonder if, when you record an HD TV show of ,say, 2 hours, how many Gigs this takes of the PVR Hard drive, and could the show be transferred via a USB external hard drive that is usually attached to a PC? I have Roxio Creator 2009 which claims to have HD editing capabilities, then maybe I could burn a disc - if the show does not exceed 4 or so Gig. In time maybe you could have a look.

Graham. 17:34 02 Dec 2008

'A one hour recording may require 2-3 GB'.

I've not recorded an HD program yet so I can't add to this entry in the manual.

Graham. 19:21 02 Dec 2008

Just checked a recorded program, not in HD. At 2 hours, it used 5.3 GB, 2% of total.

I've set it to record a 1 hour HD program tonight, will report back on that.

One feature I like, you can add 1 - 5 minutes onto the beginning and end times when setting a recording. Or set it to Auto (the Manual calls it 'On Time') and any early or late running is automatically adjusted to times sent by the broadcaster.

Graham. 17:35 03 Dec 2008

Things went slightly wrong trying to determine the hard drive usage of the HD program. First, you can't delete a recorded program whilst it's recording another. When I did delete it to check the usage, the deleted space was still showing as used.

So I deleted all, but the hard drive was still showing 5.3 GB used. I formatted the drive to start again at 0 GB. Will come back to this.

A nice visual touch, when you turn it off the blue LED bar slowly dims and then slowly comes on in red.

john bunyan 17:41 03 Dec 2008

Graham. Very helpful to those of us still thinking of buying this machine. Is the HD TV really noticably different? I have only seen blue ray demmos of HD in shops? No rush, grateful to share your learning curve!

Graham. 17:55 03 Dec 2008

I've had the non-recording version since it came out, now moved to the conservatory. I'm not a big football fan, but watching it on ITV earlier in the year, when you switch to ITV HD, the change in the picture is stunning.

Even the picture on non-HD programs is totally better - I understand it is upscaling to 1080i, plus the delivery by HDMI, that is responsible.

They must be shifting some - Comet have taken them off again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?