HPI cost me £98.99 because of a Blatent lie

Ex plorer 17:41 24 Oct 2010

A while back I purchased car from a franchise dealer. (Well Known throughout the UK)
During the purchase the sales man went through a load of extras which I declined.

What was left was the HPI check on the list of extras at £98.99.
I said I would do a check before we went any further with the deal as I new I could get it cheaper.

The salesman said there was no point as he couldn't remove it from the list as it was part of the sale of second hand cars.

I asked if this was a compulsory by all garages and the sales man said no only to the company he was working for and that it gave peace of mind to all car buyers.

Two weeks later I sent an email to the sales manager to ask if it was compulsory to buy the HPI and he said NO and would return my money.
I would not then have an HPI fall back.

I gave a compromise to the sales manager, as I belong to the AA an HPI would have cost me £19.99. and he return £79.00.

its been going on for three weeks now 4 emails with replies only to return my money.
I never received any paper work for the HPI check in the first place and was told it was a Gold cover.

Forum Editor 17:43 24 Oct 2010

from Speakers Corner.

morddwyd 19:13 24 Oct 2010

What's HPI?

MrNewName 19:14 24 Oct 2010

Checks if there is any finance etc owing on a vehicle prior to purchase: click here

spuds 20:10 24 Oct 2010

I am finding this a little hard to follow, but I will try and give an opinion anyway.

The HPI check as nothing to do with you, and you should not pay for it, because this is to safeguard the dealer from selling a dodgy car to the public.

There is nothing stopping you from obtaining your own HPI or similar check, in which case you would be completely covered by their terms and conditions of recompense, should the check information be in error.

In the case of the dealer selling a dodgy car to the public, and the car is later claimed back by the rightful owner, then you would have to claim any finance back from the dealer via their 'goodwill' or the courts.

Ex plorer 09:59 09 Nov 2010

I have now had a refund of £89.99 plus the HPI check to show good will on behalf of the garage.

lotvic 21:16 09 Nov 2010

OK glad you didn't have to pay for it but, I am surprised at this practice.
I would have thought that the garage would have done an HPI check when they bought the car and it should have been part of their deal with the seller and not expect you to pay for it.

Doesn't seem right to me somehow.

BT 08:08 10 Nov 2010

Desira included one in the paperwork when I bought my Nissan Note recently.
There was no mention of a charge, but who knows, it was probably allowed for in the price I paid.

timsmith259 17:30 11 Nov 2010

who knowa

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?