HP pavilion dv6700 power pack failure

menui88 22:04 31 Jan 2010

Has anyone come across this problem before? My 2 yr old HP pavilion dv6700 has recently burnt out two power packs this weekend, (no smoke but definite smell of melted plastic and both packs are completely dead now, they both ran VERY hot prior to breaking too)
The battery can still be charged through my old Compaq laptop as a temporary measure and all seems fine with the laptop in operation on battery power, but does anyone know if this is an existing problem with HP before I get in touch with them direct so I can go to them forearmed if neccessary.
I had a problem previously when the hard drive ceased to be located on bootup and could not be recovered, after replacing the hard drive all has been fine for five months until now, could the two problems be connected?

Proclaimer 00:04 01 Feb 2010

then HP will have a Service Note on the part or the model affected. This Service Note allows for all customers, warranty or not, to have the unit repaired. If you call them and ask about any service notes they will tell you, they are not in the habit of hiding them.

If the issue is not covered by a service note and is therefore just a fault then they may be able to trouble shoot what is faulty and if you have no warranty they will at least tell you which part may be faulty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017