HP Laptops.

MAJ 23:05 27 Aug 2010

I'm searching around for a laptop for a mate, his budget is £450 max. I have found this one click here which has the specs he would require for the desired usage, but I'm not familiar with HP laptops, desktops yes, laptops, no. What do you think, are they a reliable make, or should I go for a Dell (which I am familiar with), Acer (relatively familiar with) or other?

Why wont it work 23:35 27 Aug 2010

I don't think your friend would go far wrong in buying them. I currently have one of HP's business models (Elitebook 2530p) and it's so well built I could almost swear it was cast from a single block of metal. I had the previous HP 2510p and that was just as good. If the 'consumer' models are only half as well built I reckon they would still be excellent. On the one occassion I had to deal with their customer support it was quite good.

Besides, it seems to get some good reviews, and it's a decent spec for the money so I think it would be a good buy.

rdave13 23:44 27 Aug 2010

Difficult question really. I've had a Compaq laptop for three years and no problems. Got rid of the usual bumff and even the original OS (Vista). Trouble is I've never had to ask for support or repair under warranty so no help there.
My niece's laptop (Acer) had a fault just after the warranty ran out, was sent to Acer for repair at a cost of £200, came back with the same fault so on going.
Friend at work swears by Dell and has bought quite a few laptops from them over the years and on one, that had a fault within warranty, was quickly dealt with.
Horses for courses I think.
My lad bought a Toshiba a year ago and no problems so can't say anything about their customer services.
Not much help I know, sorry.

provider 2 10:24 28 Aug 2010

Plenty of support from the hp site should you need it: click here

MAJ 15:36 28 Aug 2010

Sorry about the delay in answering, have been out. Yes that one looks fairly good to me for the price, it's just I wasn't sure about HP laptops. I'll pick out a few more for him to choose from, I've seen a Dell Vostro 3500, a Dell Inspiron, a couple of Acers and a Samsung that also might fit the bill.

Thanks for the responses, it is appreciated.

Strawballs 19:22 28 Aug 2010

I had an HP laptop from the home computer initiative that ran for a few yrs and had to send it back 3 times in those 3yrs and everytime a curiour picked it up and it was returned within 5 working days. All the laptops at work are HP's and I work for a multi-national.

polish 19:54 28 Aug 2010

click here
hope this helps

MAJ 21:56 28 Aug 2010

Thanks Strawballs and polish, the HP is in, the Vostro is out, it was listed ex VAT, with VAT it was £504.

ospreysabroad 14:16 30 Aug 2010

I'd backup what the other posters have said go with the HP even the consumer units are pretty well built and performance is good

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires