Is this HP a good deal?

barn 21:41 27 Jan 2009

I've been looking at laptops for weeks now and my head is starting to spin! I've got a budget of absolute max £400 so I'm not expecting a Vaio or anything. I've just found a deal for a HP G60-215EM that I can get through my work. Here are the specs:

Processor type
AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-72
• 2.10 GHz, Level 2 cache 1 MB

Operating system installed
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)

Standard memory
3072 MB

Memory layout
(1 x 1024 MB + 1 x 2048 MB)

Maximum memory
Supports up to 4 GB DDR2 memory

Internal drives
250 GB

Hard disk controller
SATA Hard Disk Drive 5400 rpm

Optical drive type
Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Writer (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support

System features
Memory card device
5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards

Modem
High speed 56K modem

Network interface
Ethernet 10/100BT integrated network interface

Wireless technologies
802.11b/g WLAN

External I/O ports
3 USB 2.0, 1 HDMI connector, 1 VGA port, 1 RJ45 ethernet connector, 1 RJ11 modem connector, 1 headphone-out, 1 mic-in

Display size
15.6" Single channel LVDS HD BrightView

Display resolution
1366 x 768

Graphic subsystem name
NVIDIA GeForce 8200M

Video RAM
Up to 1407 MB Total Available Graphics Memory

Webcam
Webcam with integrated microphone

Internal audio
3D Sound Blaster Pro compatible sound 16 bit integrated

Speakers and microphone
Altec Lansing® speakers

Keyboard
Full size desktop keyboard (with separate numeric keypad layout)

Power supply type
65 W AC Power Adapter

Pointing device
Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad, volume control, mute button

Battery type
6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery

Software
Software - Productivity & finance
Microsoft® Works and Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 60-Day Trial Version

Pre-installed software
Microsoft® Internet Explorer; Windows Mail; Adobe® Reader

Optical drive driver software
HP MediaSmart Suite ; Windows Media Player ; Windows Photo Gallery ; DVD Play ; Windows Movie Maker ; Cyberlink DVD Suite ; HP Total Care Advisor ; HP Games Console with hours of free game play, featuring EA™ Spore™ Creature Creator

Software included
Recovery partition (including possibility to recover system, applications and drivers separately); Optional re-allocation of recovery partition; Recovery CD/DVD creation tool; Symantec™ Norton Internet Security™ 2009 (60 days live update); Notebook Help & Support

I can get this laptop for £366 if I buy before the end of January or £407 after. A bit tight because I get paid on the last day of the month!

As far as I can tell the processor's pretty good and features in much more expensive laptops. It's got to be close to the RM-70 which ranks 76 on this comparison site click here

(kindly found on this forum!).

I was just looking for advice on whether this is actually a good deal or not. This is my first foray into the laptop world and I know nothing about which companies are good in terms of build quality and reliability, so what are HP like!

Another question is does it matter that the wireless card doesn't support the new draft n, as I'm concerned about connection speed, being used to my ethernet on my desktop.

I've been looking at other makes like Lenovo and Acer but the specs on this HP seem better overall.

Like I said, I've been staring at prices and specs of laptops for weeks now and my brain hurts!

Thanks for any help guys and gals

barn 20:45 28 Jan 2009

As no one has a good reason not to! I've spent another 5-6 hours looking around and I'm not seeing anything else better. One more question though, for anyone who's reading...
Does it matter whether that its a 32 bit not 64 bit?

Thanks again

barn

MAT ALAN 20:48 28 Jan 2009

32bit, not in the slightest, in my opinion its good value for money, i would buy it, good luck...

gazzaho 14:13 30 Jan 2009

The only reason for choosing 64 bit as opposed to 32 bit that I can see is the amount of ram you want to use, 32 bit can access a maximum of 4GB all in, including Video ram whereas a 64 bit system can access much more ram, that doesn't seem to be a problem as you only intend to use 3GB. If there are other benefits for 64bit I'm sure someone will put me right.

Looks like a nice little system for the price, I would consider it myself at that price.

Joe R 16:27 30 Jan 2009

barn,

the laptop looks to be a good deal for the money, and I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.

A 64bit operating system is fine, unless you are using lots of older software. This can cause a lot of compatibility problems.

barn 17:12 30 Jan 2009

thanks for the feedback, I've gone ahead and ordered it now so I'll let you know what happens!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?