How much could I get for my second hand PC?

erkmatrix 23:01 25 Oct 2009

Hi I'm wanting to sell my PC as I want a new imac and its only 2 year old machine with this spec.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GHz 4Mb Cache
4Gb Corsair Memory DDR 800
500GB SATA Hard Drive
8025-C43 Midi
Atrix 720Watt Silent Dual Fan
768Mb Nvidia 8800GTX graphics card DX10
QC - Gigabyte N680iSLI-DQ6-1333fsb-DDR1066x4 SLI (Dual graphics)
DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe
X-Discovery Case
Windows XP Home

I also have bought for it a
VelociRaptor 300 GB fast Drive with Operating system on
BenQ FP241W 24in Widescreen Monitor (which was £500 but has come down in price of course now)

If I was to sell a PC with all that all set back to factory setting with Windows XP, or even consider buying windows 7 to install on it.

How much could I sell it for, does anyone have a clue about selling second hand pcs, would ebay be my best bet or anyone know of anywhere else to maybe try.

Cheers

erkmatrix 23:24 25 Oct 2009

Forgot to mention also my soundcard Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty too

OTT_Buzzard 01:21 26 Oct 2009

It's never easy to value second hand PC's. An auction on ebay (the best chance of a sale) could attract little attention at which point £150 is the max you'd get. On the other hand it may attract some interst at which point you could get £250.

Looking at the breakdown:

The processor is old-hat, but still available.
Graphics card is good, but not the best - will potential buyers know how good it is?
Operating system is worth £10 on the sale price
Velociraptor is wroth a small increase in price
Monitor is worth very little unless the punter knows how good it is, and even then current monitors are just as good for far less than you paid for it

Second hand, PC's never worth anything like as much as you'd like.

erkmatrix 07:14 26 Oct 2009

yeah its annoying that they can lose the price so quick as I paid probably altogether £2000 on it. I couldn't let it go for £150, be no point in selling it, I was hoping around £400 but I guess I'm dreaming now adays they have come so cheap to buy new, well pcs have, macs are much more expensive, even second hand ones.

Not that it makes any difference but its not 4mb of ram its 8mb as I upgraded it.

Maybe I should wait and see if anyone is selling a second hand imac on ebay.

sharpamat 08:22 26 Oct 2009

As already advised you will only get what a buyer is prepared to pay. I would advertise it in local papers.the 8mb of ram is totally usless on a system running xp which could not even use the 4 you had.
My advise would be upgrade tp Win7 ( which can use what you have ) then either keep it or try an add then.

erkmatrix 08:39 26 Oct 2009

Its the 64bit version of XP I have for it.

Yeah, just looking at ebay and its annoying how little pcs sell for second hand whilst people are selling second hand imacs for over a grand and not being that good a spec.

Pamy 09:07 26 Oct 2009

junipaire, what part of the country do you live, I may be interested in it

erkmatrix 09:25 26 Oct 2009

I'm up in East Yorkshire, near Bridlington

Pamy 09:51 26 Oct 2009

A long way from me to come to see it

erkmatrix 10:09 26 Oct 2009

yeah that's the trouble with something like this, its so big to be delivered too, I might try it on ebay and say local pickup , Buy it now of £599 and post up a good description and photos and put on windows 7

Pamy 10:49 26 Oct 2009

junipaire, can I contact you by your envelope, as I do not think FE will like this sales talk continuing on the forum?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?