How long left for the AMD Socket 939 CPU's

Giggle n' Bits 11:46 04 Aug 2006

Does anyone have any idea how many years if that will the AMD Socket 939 Processors/motherboards will be around ?

Wanting to build a new system and as the AMD Socket 939's are reduced will they be making the motherboard in a few years time or is AM2 going to be the only option. I know people carn't see the future but any imput on possibiltys would be appreciated here.

vinnyT 12:58 04 Aug 2006

I'm pretty sure that in a few years that the 939 socket will have been pushed aside by AM, but will still be available from sources such as ebay.

At the momnet if I was building a new pc for myself, it would be an intel duo core. This, atm, is way ahead of amd.

Hope this helps.

Giggle n' Bits 13:07 04 Aug 2006

will look at the intels

vinnyT 13:42 04 Aug 2006

Welcome, all the reviews I have read come out positively in favour of the new core 2 duo, if you do build a system around one of these chips, I don't think you will be dissapointed.

philboam 14:46 04 Aug 2006

Unless you are a heavy gamer. in which case forget the intel dual core.

ade.h 14:53 04 Aug 2006

Not that I could care less about gaming performance, but it would be useful for future reference to know if you can suggest any (preferably thorough) tests that came to that conclusion.

dth 16:10 04 Aug 2006

939 is done now - as AMD will not be releasing any new processors for the motherboard type. Although there isn't much difference in performance with the new am2. On the other hand there will be quite a few bargins to be had.

packettracer 16:35 04 Aug 2006

939 was the one to have for 2 years. Now it's AM2. Next will be AM3??

jimmybond 21:54 04 Aug 2006

"Not that I could care less about gaming performance, but it would be useful for future reference to know if you can suggest any (preferably thorough) tests that came to that conclusion."

I think you'll find there aren't any that support this theory, as it's a load of b&*^*%$£

You don't have to look far, to find a testing/benchmark that point to exactly the opposite conclusion

click here

ade.h 22:04 04 Aug 2006

Exactly my suspicion! ;-) But I though that I would politley give philboam the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to substantiate his comment!

vinnyT 14:48 05 Aug 2006

There was a prob with some games slowing/not working on dual core cpus, however there is now a fix available from amd (and prob intel too).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?