How long does it take Pipex to answer a fax?

Pappyon 14:26 10 Apr 2003

I faxed Pipex Customer Services a week ago today, requesting compensation of £2.18 for the postage it cost me to send back a Speedtouch 330 TWICE for testing, £3.11 for calls to Technical Support, which would not have been incurred had the modem been bench tested in the first instance instead of sticking it into an Office PC, and sending it back to me as being functional, when it wasn't, and a month's free internet access for the time when I could not acces the internet because the modem was faulty from day one, and was either in the process of going to Pipex, or coming back from Pipex. They were blaming my system, or my stupidity. They would not accept that the modem was faulty. They also told me to buy a powered hub, which would have been a waste of money. I also spent £30.56 on a PCI ADSL modem, which I need not have done.
THE MODEM THEY SENT ULTIMATELY IS WORKING PERFECTLY. Why won't they answer my fax? I used to think Thiefserve Customer Service was lousy. This crowd of chantyrasslers are just about as bad! If I wasn't tied to a year's contract I would give them the heave ho!

Sir Radfordin™ 14:56 10 Apr 2003

The chance of a fax NOT getting lost in a system is tiny, its just another piece of paper that anyone could have picked up or not. Its really not a good way to communicate unless someone is looking out for the information at the other end. Especially in a large office like the one Pipex no doubt have.

You will be much better off sending a letter by special/registered mail stating you want a response in 14 days or you will take legal advice/action. You will then have to look to the small claims courts to recover your losses.

You will then be able to prove Pipex got the letter and who signed for it.

gcs_uk 15:08 10 Apr 2003

I would send any important correspondence to a business "Special Delivery" - This costs a minimum of £3.65 but is guaranteed to be delivered the next working day by 12.30pm and there will be a record of the name of the person at the company who signed for it.

This is admissable evidence in the small claims court. If you have to go to the SCC for damages you obviously can include the cost for Special Delivery in your legal proceedings.

The "Signed For" service (also known to the public as Recorded Delivery) does not guarantee next day delivery but there will be a record of the name of the person who signs for the letter.
Any letters sent in this way just go thru the normal first class post.

Again this is proof admissable in court that the company received your letter. The cost of this 63p plus the normal postage costs.

On both methods you can phone the Royal Mail a day or two later and they will confirm to you the time the letter was delivered and the name of the person who signed for it.

Hope this is of some help.

gcs_uk 15:08 10 Apr 2003

I would send any important correspondence to a business "Special Delivery" - This costs a minimum of £3.65 but is guaranteed to be delivered the next working day by 12.30pm and there will be a record of the name of the person at the company who signed for it.

This is admissable evidence in the small claims court. If you have to go to the SCC for damages you obviously can include the cost for Special Delivery in your legal proceedings.

The "Signed For" service (also known to the public as Recorded Delivery) does not guarantee next day delivery but there will be a record of the name of the person who signs for the letter.
Any letters sent in this way just go thru the normal first class post.

Again this is proof admissable in court that the company received your letter. The cost of this 63p plus the normal postage costs.

On both methods you can phone the Royal Mail a day or two later and they will confirm to you the time the letter was delivered and the name of the person who signed for it.

Hope this is of some help.

Pappyon 15:20 10 Apr 2003

Sir Radfordin
I thank you for your speedy response to my post, and for your assistance. While I can see your point about a fax being overlooked, my fax was addressed specifically to to Claire Maguire, the head of Financial Services. What annoys me more than anything else is being ignored. May I state that on one occasion when I faxed Pipex Technical Support I was phoned back inside four hours, and they didn't know beforehand I was going to fax them. I dare say it depends on the department you are dealing with!

Sir Radfordin™ 16:30 10 Apr 2003

It'll depend on far more than which department, it'll depend on who last unplugged the fax machine, didn't bother putting some more paper in or just borrowed your fax to make a note.

You can't prove the person you sent it to will get it. Pipex like most companies don't avoid keeping customers happy so the previous experience you had faxing them is no doubt what they would like to happen all the time. Problem is it often doesn't and thats often because of humans.

Pappyon 16:50 10 Apr 2003

Sir Radfordin™
I've sent them an email with the aforementioned fax as an attachment. If I don't get a response in a reasonable time, say three business days, I will send a letter recorded delivery.
I'm not out for blood, just reasonable recompense for the time I was without Internet service, and the postal charges I incurred, plus phone calls to Tech Support, and the cost of my standby PAYG ISP for essential use of the internet, eg my online bank.

After your comments about how office workers use (abuse) the fax machine, I will be very wary about sending faxes to business concerns in the future. There's a lot to be said for the Royal Mail after all it would appear. I hate using a telephone by the way.

I thank everybody who responded to my post

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?