How long does it take to up-grade BB connection?

josie mayhem 12:21 01 Nov 2005

Does anyone know hoe long I should expect it to take to up-grade my 512 broadband connection to a MB connection?

I'm using the same company (onetel) that already providing my slower broadband connection, I order it on the 20-10-05, and when I put in the request for it, they confirmed and then said 5 working days, which I took it, that it would happen by the 28-10-05, and I did receive a e-mail from the concerning another query, and in the e-mail it said any day now, and that was on the 24-10-05. But every time I check the status on my account, so far it has got to the second stage, order placed... it hasn't moved.

I only stayed with onetel, because of the hassles changing to another ISP, which would mean that I would have to get a them to disconnect my BB connection so that I could allow another provider to connect, and with this you can have a couple of days with out BB, rather than 1/2 hour or so.

Jackcoms 14:12 01 Nov 2005

Over the past few months I've gone through several upgrades with my ISP (Tiscali).

I went from 512k to 1mb to 2mb to 2mb + phone service.

In each case, the speed/service upgrade had taken place within 24 hours of placing my order with Tiscali.

josie mayhem 14:27 01 Nov 2005

I thought that they might be dragging there legs a bit.

When I first tried to up-grade to the faster BB, the checker actually told me that my line was incapable of supporting any BB at all! so couldn't place a upgrade/order at all...

I did send a e-mail asking why? which took several days to be answered, but receive a e-mail back on the 24-10-05 saying that they were slightly confused about my e-mail, as the MB was going through and would be active any day now (my interpretation of any day is 2-3 days) so should have been changed by last Friday at the latest.

So I think it's time to have a moan at them.

Jackcoms 15:56 01 Nov 2005

"the checker actually told me that my line was incapable of supporting any BB at all! so couldn't place a upgrade/order at all..."

click here and enter your phone number or post code and click on 'Check'.

That will tell you whether you are in a BB area or not.

Then click on BT ADSL and that will tell you the maximum BB speed capacity of your local exchange.

spuds 16:06 01 Nov 2005

Normally an ISP would provide a new account holder,allowing for the necessary check, broadband within 5/10 working days. If you use your present ISP, then it could take less than 24 hours, depending on the relationship between BT [if line provider]and the ISP.Like Jackcoms, I am on Tiscali,and a simple upgrade using the internet procedures resulted in a new uprated connection within 24 hours.

To check on your exchange, try click here

josie mayhem 16:25 01 Nov 2005

I've checked via BT,

But what does a exchange need to have to except the 2mb higher speeds?

josie mayhem 16:47 01 Nov 2005

I've run a check via ordering from BT a BB connection, and this suggest that the max I'm going to get is up to MB, and because my line is so long, that I might have to have one of there engineers come and install for me?!!!

The length of the line has confused me, if I was on the very limits for BB, then I could understand, but the exchange (a main exchange at that) is only about 945 meters away from me as the crow fly. In fact during the winter I can see the telephone masks that sit on top of it, through the oak trees that normally obstruct my view!

I have fired another e-mail to onetel, to find out whats going on, but if it's like my last query then I won't expect a reply until next week sometime...

Stuartli 17:00 01 Nov 2005

I've had exactly the same speedy upgrades with Tiscali as Jackcoms - promised within 48 hours and actually achieved by the following day.

josie mayhem 17:10 01 Nov 2005

I think it might be time for a change, I'm getting rather fed up with it all now.

MidgetMan 17:14 01 Nov 2005

Just upgraded from 512k to 2 mb with wannadoo, took 12hrs!!!!

spuds 18:39 01 Nov 2005

Have you been released by Onetel?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?