How do I boot the OS of my external HDD

Don WadeComoro 02:01 25 Mar 2015

Badly need help. My laptop was broken and beyond repairs so I bought a new one. Since my files on that laptop were very important I utilized my HDD by enclosing it and using it as external drive. However, some of my files there were compressed and encrypted. I can neither copy nor access them from other PC.Two things in my mind, maybe I can boot my OS(Windows 7) from that drive so I can extract my files or I can find another way to override the security of those files (pw protected, compressed, encrypted). Any advice?

Secret-Squirrel 09:37 25 Mar 2015

Did you use the Windows 7 feature to encrypt those files? If you did then did you backup your EFS (Encrypting File System) key? If you didn't then sadly you'll never be able to decrypt those files and they're gone forever :(

If you do have a copy of your EFS key then I can tell you how to install it to give you access to those files again.

dont use one 11:03 25 Mar 2015

yet again no back ups, do they ever learn

Secret-Squirrel 15:32 25 Mar 2015

I've thought a bit more about your problem. If you can boot into Windows on the old laptop's drive then you should be able to decrypt and decompress your valuable files. Here are two options:

1) Make sure the new laptop (or other computer) is set to boot from USB. If it's not then change the "boot order" in the BIOS.

2) Connect the old hard drive to another laptop.

However it's all likely to fail as Windows will load drivers for the wrong hardware and the startup will probably halt with a "blue screen of death". It's definitely worth trying though and you may be lucky.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?