How Can I Prove Delivery?

morddwyd 10:08 09 Sep 2014

I recently made a return to Amazon (marketplace seller).

The return told me to use a trackable system, which I did, Royal Mail Special Delivery at a cost of £11 odd.

Told Amazon their seller was a bit slow with the refund (three weeks) and could they investigate.

They asked for the tracking information, which I gave, and I also sent them a copy of RM's delivery info.

Amazon now say that this delivery info, from Royal Mail, is not proof of delivery, and I have to supply such proof.

How the hell do I do that?

Royal Mail say it's been delivered, Amazon say prove it, where do I go from here (apart from claiming against RM)?

Woolwell 10:42 09 Sep 2014

It should have been signed for. According to the Royal Mail site you should be able to see the signature on-line. Suggest you try that route and make screen capture of the signature for Amazon.

spuds 14:23 09 Sep 2014

Ask Royal Mail for further advice click here

morddwyd 08:16 10 Sep 2014

Thanks.

I have already downloaded and sent Amazon a copy of the RM delivery certificate, but they say that is not proof enough for them (I assume they must be in some sort of dispute with RM).

So far as help from RM is concerned, they have a certificate to say the item has been delivered, there would appear to be little more they can do.

HondaMan 09:23 10 Sep 2014

What was the value of the item?

Woolwell 09:38 10 Sep 2014

Is it not possible to get a copy of the signature? Is the market place seller stating that they didn't receive it? Is there a contact with the actual seller?

lotvic 15:32 10 Sep 2014

"Royal Mail say it's been delivered, Amazon say prove it"

hmm, so is this Amazon or the marketplace seller that say item was not delivered back to them?

I had a look at RM's special delivery pages and the specimen signatures page for Royal Mail Special Delivery so can't quite understand why or how they can dispute receipt of delivery if you have sent them a copy.

If they persist then you could try telling them you'll have to raise it with RM and ask for compensation for non-delivery. Then I suppose RM will have to investigate the where's and what's of the actual delivery.

morddwyd 19:59 10 Sep 2014

The value of the item, a Samsung Galaxy Note 8" is £400.

It's a marketplace seller, but all correspondence is with Amazon.

No-one is saying it hasn't been delivered, RM says it has been, Amazon say prove it as we don't believe RM!

The packet was insured so the next thing to do is make a claim, and let Amazon prove to the insurance company that RM have made away with it.

lotvic 00:06 11 Sep 2014

It says on Amazon marketplace Returns page ClickHere

"To ensure the safe return of the merchandise, please package your item with care. Items valued over £50.00 should be returned to the Seller using a trackable delivery service. If the order is valued at £100.00 or more, we recommend you insure your return for the value of the product and use a signature required delivery service."

"Amazon.co.uk strives to maintain a Marketplace that's fair to both buyers and Sellers. Packaging returns with care reduces the chances of damage in transit and can assist with the processing of the return by the Seller. Sending the return via a trackable delivery method protects you in the event a Seller doesn't receive an item. If a parcel doesn't arrive, we can implement an A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee claim. If you don't use a trackable method to return your item and the Seller doesn't provide a refund to you, we may not be able to cover you under the Guarantee."

For sake of clarity of problem: have you made an A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee claim? Is that where you're at now? Will be interesting to learn what happens next, keep us posted :)

Forum Editor 08:29 11 Sep 2014

The whole point of the Royal Mail ePOD tracking system is that it provides a proof of delivery - you see an image of the card that was signed when the package was delivered.

If Amazon say that is unacceptable proof I would be tempted to ask them what would be acceptable. Trust has to start somewhere,as far as consumers are concerned, and Amazon's attitude, which appears to be an indication that it doesn't trust Royal Mail to deliver securely, is not helping the process.

I will also be interested to see how this pans out. If you hit a brick wall, let me know. I'll contact Amazon on your behalf and ask them to clarify their proof of delivery policy for our hundreds of thousands of registered users.

morddwyd 08:39 11 Sep 2014

Amazon refused my A - Z claim, as the item is not "faulty or defective" simply "quality or performance not adequate", their categories, not mine.

I've never had a problem returning stuff before (not that I do so that often), it's generally reckoned to be one of Amazon's strong points, but they seem to have lost the plot this time.

They're not even auto- acknowledging e-mails any more.

I know they're worried about a drop in profits, perhaps this is a symptom.

I'm initiating a formal claim against Royal Mail today.

I'll post updates when (or if!) there are any.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?