Homebase rip off

Al94 17:06 08 Feb 2011

Was doing a small DIY plumbing job today, needed a 15mm right angle compression joint and a few olives. Homebase was closest, joint was £4.50 and a pack of 6 olives £4.99, total £ 9.49.

No way I thought, drove a mile and went to Plumb Center, joint £1.28 plus vat, olives 33p plus vat, Grand Total £1.93 including vat!

Posted as a heads up to others.

Forum Editor 17:24 08 Feb 2011

that you'll get plumbing fittings cheaper in a plumbers' merchants than in a DIY store.

It's not right to call it a rip-off, that smacks of something underhand, and it's not the case.

Homebase is open until 8:00 at night, Plumb centre closes at 5:00.

Plumb centre closes at midday on Saturday, Homebase closes at 8:00pm

Homebase is open on Sunday, Plumb centre isn't.

It's all about convenience shopping, long trading hours cost money, and that is recovered in the selling prices. In addition, small items in DIY stores are almost always individually packed - more cost.

spuds 18:36 08 Feb 2011

If you want cheaper items, then try Screwfix or Toolstation (both open 7 days, usually with extended hours). They will even home deliver the next day if you spend a minimum amount.

Travis Perkins is another to try, but they do have various trading names, more so since taking over BSS recently.

Travis Perkins Clearance Centres are another outlet worthy of a visit, because they sell various 'redundant' items from other major outlet, at very low prices.

Perhaps a wink of the eye. Check Argos prices against Homebase with some products. Same ownership, but prices might differ slightly on same/similar items. And don't forget your Argos or Nectar cards, plus voucher or voucher codes,and special promotional weekends (10/15% extra savings), because it all saves money!.

robin_x 00:03 09 Feb 2011

Don't forget Plumbase, Wickes and if desperate Jewsons.

Whenever I need anything urgent from trade merchants or out of town superstores, it is always 5 mins past closing.

If they were open 24/7 I bet my pipes would burst on Christmas Day.

birdface 12:10 09 Feb 2011

I must admit I have to agree with the FE.
If you are desperate for any parts and those stores are the only ones open at the time
It doesn't matter what it costs it is cheap at the price if it saves your room from getting waterlogged.
If not desperate you would use the other places mentioned.

jakimo 12:58 20 Feb 2011

Even if the other outlets were giving the items away free,Homebase would still be the best buy if the others were closed at the time

wee eddie 21:48 20 Feb 2011

No one forces anyone to buy.

If it is too expensive ~ don't buy it. If enough people hold off the price will drop.

It's just that we Brits, taken as a whole, not you folk out there, you understand, are so like sheep that when anyone says 'Must Have!' and we anti-up whatever price a Retailer puts on it.

That's our fault, not theirs. Their job is to sell it, and as many of it as possible, at the best price they can get.

Forum Editor 23:38 20 Feb 2011

Actually I think we bear very little resemblance to sheep. In my experience people are fairly intelligent when it comes to spending their own money.

The whole point about the big shed way of shopping is that those stores hold stocks of thousands of items under one roof, and they're open when it's convenient for me or you, or the man next door to do our shopping.

In the case of millions of us that's after work, or at weekends. The big DIY stores and the public, it's a kind of symbiosis - each species gains something from the other. It isn't a case of "If enough people hold off the price will drop.", that's not what goes on at all. We aren't going to hold off, because we want the products, and we want them when it's convenient for us.

wee eddie 03:51 21 Feb 2011

Also, I am lead to believe, France and Germany. Do their Retailers make less profit out of the goodness of their hearts or is there less of the "buy it at any price"?

Nothing wrong with the "buy it at any price" outlook but, don't then go and complain that you've been ripped off, because you haven't.

spuds 09:51 21 Feb 2011

I am surprised that no one as mentioned internet purchasing. Most of the suppliers I mentioned in an earlier post have very good websites, that are run 24/7, with next day deliver, at very competitive prices. Most of the retailer also provide free delivery under certain terms and conditions.

Another point perhaps worth a mention, some of these large high street outlets, also have major interests or ownership in some of the Screwfix and Toolstations etc of this world.

At least when I use the 'trade/public' outlets, there is usually a free drink available, I am still waiting for Homebase or B&Q to offer this same facility. Homebase or one of its predecessors (Texas)once did.

Forum Editor 10:39 21 Feb 2011

That question is based on a sweeping assertion - that retail prices in America are lower than in the UK.

Obviously some prices are lower in America - they would be, for items produced there, or at least you would think so. It isn't always true however.

When I was last there I stayed with some family friends in Arkansas, and I volunteered to go into town and do a supermarket shop. I was surprised by some of the prices.

I paid the equivalent of £1.09 for a loaf of cut white bread; I can get one in Tesco today for £1

Meat was about the same, as were eggs. Fresh fruit prices varied, some were similar, some cheaper, and some more expensive. I was taken to a McDonalds restaurant, and the cost of what we ate was about the same as in a London McDonalds. Ditto in an Italian restaurant we used a couple of times.

My hosts told me what they pay for health insurance, and it was astronomical. No wonder around 40 million Americans have no health cover at all. House insurance premiums were considerably higher, and so were water costs.

Overall it looked as if the cost of living - at least in Nebraska - wasn't much different to living in London - maybe slightly lower, but in a much larger country with a greater reliance on home-produced goods I would expect that. Petrol was obviously cheaper, but the distances driven daily tend to be much higher, and the cars they were driving were all huge 4x4s with big engines, so perhaps it evens out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?