Home CCTV

john bunyan 19:40 29 Aug 2009

Can anyone reccomend a home CCTV system that could connect via my wireless modem, record if movement detected, and could send e mail and or access to view if I am away. Ideally two external and one internal cameras - hopefully wireless connection.

john bunyan 12:14 30 Aug 2009

Thanks for link, will follow it up, if I can find a UK supplier etc.

Stuartli 15:16 30 Aug 2009

Maplins has a wide range of stock (including four channel CCTV Recording PCI cards):

click here

john bunyan 15:41 30 Aug 2009

Thanks, will call in and see them. I was hoping someone on the forum might have some hands on experience of a system.

interzone55 18:00 30 Aug 2009

I sell networked security cameras to the trade, but unless you have a wheel barrow full of cash you're not going to be able to afford most of my product line.

Look at Maplin, they've got a good range of consumer kit.

If you're going to want to remotely access the cameras you need to understand that when recording at VGA resolution in MPEG 4 you'll be using a few hundred kilobits of bandwidth even if recording a couple of frames a second, this exceeds the limits of most domestic broadband connections, so you're only likely to see a frame a second, which to be honest is OK if you only want to check that your house is still intact.

The latest pro cameras, and some of the cheaper cameras emerging from Korea use H264 codec, the same as Blue Ray discs, this means you get the same quality at lower bandwidth settings.

If you take a look at the Axis M1011-W camera at Network Webcams (not my employer) click here you will get pretty good quality at reasonable (for the market) price.

Decent software for IP cameras tends to be expensive though.

I tend to advise customers who are installing cameras in domestic situations to opt for a tradition DVR and wired cameras, this will be cheaper, you'll get the cameras and recording equipment in one bundle, you won't have to run your PC 24/7 and most modern DVRs can be accessed remotely nowadays.

click here

Stuartli 18:15 30 Aug 2009

I bought a Creative WebCam Plus several years ago; the retail pack included motion detection security software.

john bunyan 18:54 30 Aug 2009

Thanks for your advice - I will study it with interest!

john bunyan 20:52 30 Aug 2009

Thanks also - will have a good look at your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires