Home Accountz

Pine Man 09:21 24 Jun 2010

First of all this is not spam. I have been a member of this forum for more years than I care to remember and a user of MS Money for much longer.

Since Microsoft pulled the plug on Money I have been looking for an alternative and Home Accountz, I believe, is a worthy successor.

It is a bit different to Money and Quicken but once you have settled into it it is every bit as good, if not better. It has only been on release for about a month and there are still a few issues to resolve BUT the support is EXCEPTIONAL.

Issues posted on their forum are replied to very quickly indeed and frequently by Quentin Pain, the founder of the (British) company. The last time I posted a problem it was answered by Quentin at about 11:00 o'clock at night!

Home Accountz can be found at click here but shop around for a better price!

HondaMan 10:00 24 Jun 2010

I used to use Quicken until that waqs pulled. Tried Accountz, but didn't like the look and feel of it.

Quicken is still available in America so I may download it from there.

Pine Man 10:49 24 Jun 2010

Yes, it's certainly different to Money & Quicken.

You can get a 30 day free trial and I've been using it for about a month alongside Money and I'm now sold on it.

Where you use categories in Money and, I think, Quicken you use 'accounts' in Home Accountz and once you get to grips with that it's plain sailing.

ronalddonald 11:32 24 Jun 2010

can you fiddle the books then using Home Acountz

Pine Man 11:49 24 Jun 2010

Just like any computer. Rubbish in - rubbish out!

Colin 12:50 24 Jun 2010

I'm still using Quicken 98 and I don't see any reason to change so I won't stop using it just because it's no longer available and there is no support. What support would you need anyway?

Pine Man 13:31 24 Jun 2010

I liked the look of Quicken but, as far as I'm aware, only the later versions will run on W7 and I did down a US version and changed the currency to UK but after trying it I wasn't to impressed with the 'hybrid' version.

I did use Money and every time you reinstall it it has to update itself via the Microsoft website (not available as a download) or it cannot read the backed up files that you have saved.

If that update procedure ends, as support has, then then all of my financial records are lost.

Home Accountz can import Money and Quicken files.

Colin 14:38 24 Jun 2010

Pine Man - I'm using Quicken 98 on W7 64 bit with no problems at all.

Pine Man 15:06 24 Jun 2010

I must say I was impressed the way Quicken imported Money files but at the time I was (wrongly) informed that even Quicken 2004 wouldn't work on W7 and I was using US 2008 I think.

Still it's good news that it works for you and as you say - no reason to change.

ronalddonald 18:17 24 Jun 2010

So can you cook the books then

Pine Man 19:02 24 Jun 2010

If that's what you want to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017