ened 07:14 24 Oct 2008

I needed an Energy Performance Certificate before I could sell my shop.

My Solicitor took my Card details and (without my knowledge or permission) passed them on to this firm.

Within five minutes they took the money and the next day they informed me they only did domestic properties.

I have now been waiting TEN days for a refund and the excuse is that the person who does refunds is on holiday!!!

In the meantime I have received my CC Bill and normally I like to pay it in full immediately.

In normal circumstances I believe they have 28 days to provide a refund but I would have thought this was a different scenario.

Im I correct or are they still entitled to make me wait the full period?

  Kevscar1 07:28 24 Oct 2008

Contact your Credit Card Co. Give them details and they should be able to process a refund for you.

  €dstowe 08:18 24 Oct 2008

I would change my solicitor as well.

  ened 10:26 24 Oct 2008

'I would change my solicitor as well.

My thoughts exactly.

Kevscar: Presumably you mean to dispute the charge. If I do that do I then settle the remaining balance without penalty?

  spuds 18:31 24 Oct 2008

Usually its 28 days for a refund on a credit card.

But if it was me, I would be having a very interesting discussion with the solicitor.

  ened 08:47 29 Oct 2008

I have tried calling this company (Hipsco) and they do not answer the telephone. I left two messages but they have yet to respond. I have sent two emails but both have been ignored.

I was going to post a warning for the benefit of anybody else who needs an HIP but they don't even answer their Sales Number so perhaps they are out of business.

I know I will get the refund but quite frankly I don't need the hassle at the moment and am not at all impressed!

  interzone55 09:07 29 Oct 2008

Don't bother waiting for the refund, dispute the charge because you didn't authorise the payment.

I pretty sure Barclays would suspend the charge, so maybe your CC company would to...

  spuds 10:20 29 Oct 2008

If the company is not responding to your email and telephone calls, then contact your credit card company without delay. I would also definitely have a word with the solicitor about this incident, assuming of course that they will not try to charge for 'this consultation' ;o).

  ened 12:41 29 Oct 2008

My CC company had sent me a form but because I am moving it has gone to the new address.

I have called them back and it is now 'in dispute'.

spuds & €dstowe I have spoken to a Senior Partner at the practice and they insist this is normal practice. The problem being that it was not explained to me when I gave them my details.

What also bugged me was that they gave this firm my personal email address which I don't release to just anybody for obvious reasons.

  €dstowe 18:55 29 Oct 2008

Normal practice to give your card details to an incorrect institution without authorisation - made even worse by them not being bothered enough to even tell you anything about what they were doing and to cap that, revealing possibly confidential details (your email address) similarly, with no authorisation?

I'd change my solicitor.

  spuds 19:15 29 Oct 2008

What giving a third party a clients credit card details and confidential information. Then forgetting to tell you about it.

Methinks that a case of seeking a little bit of information from perhaps the Law Society or trading standards, if you want to go that far.

Certain professions have a duty of care, solicitors more so perhaps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?