High-cost call 'culprits' named

Seth Haniel 08:57 29 May 2008

A list of companies and government agencies using costly phone helplines to make money at customers' expense has been published by a consumer group.

Which? names more than 30 bodies that are using 0870 or 0845 customer-service numbers to profit from their callers.

click here

HIGHER-COST HELPLINES
0871: Admiral Insurance, Bell Insurance, Elephant Insurance, Diamond Insurance, Nikon, Tiscali
0870: Apple (tech support), Carphone Warehouse/Talk Talk, DVLA, Gladiator Insurance, Lexmark, Philips, Sony, Zanussi-Electrolux
0844: AOL, Orange, Panasonic, Sky, TV Licensing
0845: Barclays, British Gas, Consumer Direct, Direct Line, Eon, Green Flag, Halifax, Lloyds TSB, Miele, Npower, Philips, Scottish and Southern Energy, Scottish Power, TV Licensing, Virgin Media
Source: Which?

spuds 10:28 29 May 2008

I have recently changed the buildings and house insurance. It was only when I read all the details for the insurance, legal cover and home emergency that I noticed all the contact telephone numbers were now on 0870. Previously, most of the contact number were free-phone (claims) or normal cheaper rate lines.

Recently there was an article about phone number revisions that Ofcom have requested, so as to reduce the more expensive customer or help line charges. Apparently the providers will be able to get around this by using an alternative 'new' number coding. Looks like its back to the drawing board!.

When we say 'culprits' named, I wonder if this covers the likes of doctors surgeries, and other essential public services. Even our local council have had their knuckles slapped, through their 'public' contact arrangements and provisions.

961 11:19 29 May 2008

Most will be aware of the web site to find geographic numbers for most 08 numbers
click here

I rarely use 08 numbers except in a dire emergency using e-mail or even snail mail instead

Stuartli 18:05 29 May 2008

I read the report last Saturday - very little new in it as to the companies involved...:-)

Furthermore, in the case of Carphone Warehouse (TalkTalk) the 0870-xxx-xxxx Help line is normally free (the one ending in 1820) as you will be a TT phone/broadband subscriber.

Miké 19:02 29 May 2008

Companies making money from customers calls, whatever next! before long they will be charging for goods and other sevices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017