Here's another Tiscali anomaly

pj123 15:52 29 Mar 2004

I have a friend who is on Tiscal PAYG dialup at the moment and he wants to change to Broadband. Tiscali are offering a 512kb BB connection called BroadbandX10 50 hours. It gives up to 50 hours per month for 19.99 including free modem and free setup. When he tried to get that service he was told he couldn't have it but he could have a BB connection at 256kb but only free modem. No free setup and no 50 hours. If you can get BB at one speed why can't you get it for all speeds. These are called "Specials" on the site valid until 31st March 2004. If he wants to pay the normal prices he can get BB at any speed he likes. click here

pj123 16:32 29 Mar 2004

Just checked again to make sure using click here and for the Postcode and Telephone Number I get "Your local BT Exchange is ADSL Enabled. Your line should be capable of supporting download speeds up to 512kbs" So why are Tiscali saying I can't have 512 or 128 but I can have 256? As my friend is already a PAYG dial-up customer I would have thought they would be pleased for him to upgrade to BB.

TBH1 16:40 29 Mar 2004

I tried for the 150kbs service - -and though I can get the 250kbs and 512kbs, I cannot get the cheaper one. Have sent them an email - I thought you were either broadband enabled, or not - - not just enabled for a certain speed. I did notice today on their site that the £19.99 250kbs service offered free setup as well as free modem.

pj123 17:00 29 Mar 2004

TBH1. Don't know where you went but I have just this minute been back on Tiscali and the 256kbs for £19.99 is only offering "free modem" plus £25 setup fee.

pj123 16:29 02 Apr 2004

Thanks for the input everyone. He's now just told me that his phone bill for internet use is only about £6 per month, so it's not cost effective to go to Broadband. He is staying with PAYG. Ticked.

TBH1 16:45 02 Apr 2004

pj123 - - I have just had paper confirmation for my setup - -and it states £25 setup fee !! Have tried following the rout I took and like you, I can't find where it says 'free setup from this page'. I must confess to 'doubting my eyes' when I first signed-up and tried to replicate my actions but got the message with words to the effect that broadand was already ordered for that number. I still cannot find it when I type in next door's address phone number, and I'm sure I had not been drinkin' - - -have written a letter but won't hold my breath.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?