Hepl which laptop?

cider16 10:26 27 Aug 2009

Hi, Im trying to find a laptop for uni, have narrowed the search down to i think the acer Aspire 5735Z about £370 the 5810 Timeline £550 or I have chance of the 5410 at £420 with 3 years waranty.
both the 5810t and the 5410 are the newer slim design with better battry life the the big difference as far as I can tell is that the 5810t has a 1.4 processor but the 5410 only has 1.2. and the 5410 has a slightly shorter battery life, but it would be ok for me, apart from that is is very simmilar, but I dont know a lot about computer ( thats why I am asking for hep!)
I just need it for writing essays, and entertainment as I wont have a tv, so I wnt to be able to watch / download movies and 4od, iplayer etc, quite a bit of web surfing and some music.
I have looked at several but I do like the acer which does anyone think I should go for?
Thanks
cider16

Clapton is God 15:44 27 Aug 2009

I wouldn't worry too much about battery life as you'll almost certainly be running it from the mains in your room at Uni.

You don't say:

1. which operating system?

2. depending on that, how much RAM?

Also, I think that a 1.4 processor is rather on the slow side, particularly if you're planning to watch film/TV on it.

cider16 16:49 27 Aug 2009

opperating system would be vista, but I would quite like to put linux in some form on it, we have ubuntu on our desktop at home. the 5810t I think would come with a free upgrade to windows 7 when it comes out?
RAM is 3 gb ddr3 i think with a 250+ gb hdd
I know its only a small proccesor, I take it you think the 1.2 would be too slow then?
I thnik I got the model number wrong for the cheaper one I think its acctually a 5536(blue one), with a AMD athalon 2.1 dual core proccesor 3 gb ddr2 ram 250 gb hdd shorter battery life but acceptable I guess?
whould it be a lot better speed wise?

Clapton is God 12:46 28 Aug 2009

"I take it you think the 1.2 would be too slow then?"

Frankly, if the OS is Vista, a 1.4 will also be slow. Suggest you price up a spec with a faster processor (around 1.8 should do it).

Happy with the RAM though. 3GB is ideal for Vista

GaT7 13:22 28 Aug 2009

I would go for a Toshiba instead of an Acer - a few to choose from at Tesco click here|1||P_SORT_Price&btnResultSort.x=68&btnResultSort.y=8. A few 17" screens there too for a reasonable price. G

GaT7 13:22 28 Aug 2009

Sorry, the link again click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?