Help selecting internet security software

techhelp 09:36 30 Aug 2003

I have just purchased a 2800 Mhz Intel system but before I get onto the web some effective protection at least with Anti-Virus, Firewall, spyware as minimum would be a good idea. McAfee and Norton Internet Security software seems to be the way to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MichelleC 09:54 30 Aug 2003

I paid for NSW av, and had so many probs with liveupdate etc, av not working that I went the free route. I've used AVG, Avast and now I use AntiVir Guard. For firewalls I paid for Zone Alarm and had so many probs I again went the free route and now use Kerio. It's horses for courses and many will have their own prefs. For Spyware I use SpyBot and Adaware which clears out lots.

Kalitechnis 10:32 30 Aug 2003

I agree with MichelleC;

though I have not used Norton or Mcafee, I have read of too many disgruntled users.

If you want top range (commercial)AV, try Kaspersky Labs (or Kaspersky Lite for a cheaper but excellent alternative), or NOD32.
As for Freware, I have been using AVG for a few years, and it has found the only 2 viruses I have had (I'm very cautious with email attachments and don't visit dodgy sites).
I have tried Antivir (long update downloads-fine if you're on Broadband-I'm not), and Avast!, which is the best rated free AV, and liked it, but AVG is less of a resource-hog, and much easier to use. I would however,recommend it.

Kerio or Sygate personal firewalls are the best freeware available, but have a bit of a learning curve as they are rules based.
ZA is fine for beginners, but can be tricky to uninstall-though there are instructions how to do a clean uninstall on their site.

All the best,

K.

Belatucadrus 10:38 30 Aug 2003

These freeware options are perfectly acceptable for home use :-

Antivirus click here avast4 has the scheduling and advanced features disabled on the free version, but the leval of protection is unaffected and very good.

Firewall click here Kerio personal firewall, free version identical to commercial package, unadulterated and complete also excellent. Or click here for outpost version 1.0 free this is the old version of the outpost firewall, The latest version 2.0 is $39.95

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:33 30 Aug 2003

All you need is AVG ,anti-virus (free version) click here; Outpost firewall (free) click here and a spyware remover is useful...Adaware (free) click here.

If you are using the computer at home you will have no chance of being hacked, so Outpost will be more than enough and AVG is a superb AV. I use AVG and open everything...it has never let ne down. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that they are all updated regularly. You will need no more for safe surfing.

G

spuds 13:54 30 Aug 2003

Go the Gandalf link route. All freebies, and all well recommended. I use AVG- ZoneAlarm-AdAware and SpyBot.All worked great for me, over a long time.

techhelp 11:21 01 Sep 2003

Many thanks again. Norton Antivirus 2003 came with the system so will use that for AV. This is subscription based so will opt for AVG or similar at changeover. If anyone has a site address for SPYBOT I will appreciate it. Spuds / Michelle, are you using SPYBOT and ADAWARE on the same system, does this afford better spyware protection? Will see how I get on but watch this space, there is a novice about.

pcwhizz 11:26 01 Sep 2003

IF YOU WANT EASY, RELIABLE SECURITY SOFTWARE GO FOR NORTON. AN ALL IN ONE PACKAGE.

THE FREEWARE STUFFS ALRIGHT BUT IT CLUTTERS UP THE DESKTOP WITH ALL THE PROGRAMS ON.

I HAVE NORTON AND ADSHIELD ON AND IT DOES THE TRICK TIME AND TIME OVER

Belatucadrus 15:54 01 Sep 2003

Anti Spyware :- Spywareblaster/guard click here Adaware click here Spybot S&D click here

If it's proper Freeware it doesn't clutter up the desktop or come with undesirable passengers like gator. If it does it's more correctly classified as Adware. All the suggestions on this posting are proper freeware programs, usually with some limitations to functionality.

When your license expires and you do change Antivirus, remember to uninstall Norton before replacing it. Two AV progs has a pretty good chance of destabilising the system as they clash.

spuds 19:29 01 Sep 2003

Spybot and Adaware work okay together.Spybot will display an advisory message about Adaware.If one misses something, the other usually catches it.Two great freebie programmes.

techhelp 12:32 02 Sep 2003

Mant thanks ... going with Spybot and Adaware and Kerio and hope this is all the PC protection I will need. Will be in touch shortly no doubt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?