Help with purchase of new desktop

CitizenJ 18:10 02 Jan 2006

Hoping that one of you knowledgeable types out there might be able to help me.

I am looking to buy a new PC and my budget is £650, and i've narrowed it down to 2 computers Either
Mesh Matrix 3000 +NY £550
Athlon 64 3000+
512MB RAM
160GB HDD
128MB GeForce 6100 Graphics
19" TFT Flat Panel Display

or
Zoostorm 6-4401 Versatile PC from PC Nextday £650
P4 630 3GHz CPU
160GB SATA HDD,
512MB RAM,
128 MB GeForce 6800XT,
17" TFT,

Im very tempted by the MESH PC because of the larger monitor but i read somewhere that the graphics card is rubbish so i was considering the Zoostorm (has anyone experience with this company). Also i'm not sure which processor is better.

Any advice or other suggestions within the budget would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
James

CitizenJ 18:16 02 Jan 2006

Should add that i want to use the desktop for general use but also some gaming like half life2 etc

Rayuk 18:35 02 Jan 2006

Well you have a £100 price difference,can you not upgrade the graphics card on the Mesh pc?

Rayuk 18:48 02 Jan 2006

It is onboard graphics with a PCIE slot on the motherboard,ask for a 6600GT graphics card.
These can be bought for £90-£110 so you could get it yourself and fit it,that is if they wont do it for a reasonable price.

CitizenJ 20:36 02 Jan 2006

Thanks for the advice, will look into that. Is it hard to fit a new graphics card?

Also any thoughts on the processor?

Totally-braindead 00:20 03 Jan 2006

The processors are approximatly the same just ones Intel and ones AMD, no real difference. What I do notice from the specs you gave is the second PC has SATA drives whereas the Mesh just says HDD so its probably an ATA IDE drive which is a bit slower than the newer SATA drives. How much differnce this would make in day to day use I just don't know. The Mesh graphics card is not good by todays standards but if Mesh will upgrade to a 6600GT then it would be good as I appreciate you fancy the larger screen.
To fit a new graphics card is not very differcult but you have to remove the old graphics card drivers first and if you did this I would check that it wouldn't affect your warranty.

Personally, if I was buying a new PC and spending my hard earned cash and a company wouldn't upgrade the graphics card, providing of course I was willing to pay the difference in cost, then I'd look elsewhere. Theres no harm in asking them first and see what they say.

redmark 01:25 03 Jan 2006

The Mesh PC HD is a SATA drive also. I looked at this base model and various upgrades, but decided against it.

This model is customisable on Mesh's website, but the only GPU upgrades they offer are a 6600LE for £60, or a 6800LE for £120. Better value, if you have the budget and upgrade the GPU yourself, might be an upgrade to either of the 2 very nice Viewsonic TFTs (£60/£85).

CitizenJ 11:28 03 Jan 2006

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Redmark - I will look into your suggestion, also if you dont mind me asking, what model did you end up buying?

redmark 13:31 03 Jan 2006

I had about double the budget, and went for a Packard Bell iPower 6610 from PCW (which is very nice, apart from a OS issue detailed elsewhere...). Total £1329 with the Xerox XA7-19i. I was looking at the 3000+NY with every upgrade possible, as the base model was good value, but decided against because I wanted a 'more' futureproof motherboard and ideally SLi.

I wouldn't pay £120 for the 6800LE upgrade when you could get a 6800GS (very nice reviews) for about £170. But then I am prone to budget creep...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone