Help please ! System Shutdown on new computer.

3tg 23:05 04 Jan 2004

My new computer is two days old, I have setup the internet settings and tried it to see if it is ok.I was only online five minutes.
Stupid me did not take up the offer of 60 days Norton protection, intending to download AVG, now I have SYSTEM SHUTDOWN/this system is shutting down/Nt Authority\System..Windows must restart because the remote procedure call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly. This happens after two minutes on the net and then the countdown starts, and the computer is restarted.
I have searched the helproom and I am wondering if I have a virus ?
Please can anyone help, if so in easy terms as I can't understand the technical terms. I really would appreciate your advice, I have had to setup the old computer to get to the helproom. Many thanks.

Irishman 23:10 04 Jan 2004

Blaster virus. Ask on the helproom.

cycoze 23:10 04 Jan 2004

you would have been better off posting this in the help forum , looks like you have the blaster virus , have a look at this thread click here for links to cleaning instructions/tools.

cycoze 23:11 04 Jan 2004

Snap!

3tg 23:15 04 Jan 2004

I thought I was in the helproom, I can't believe how quickly you answered, I will have a look at the link. Do you think I should repost in the helproom ?. Cheers

Irishman 23:16 04 Jan 2004

click here

Darn it, too slow finding the thread.

Irishman 23:17 04 Jan 2004

No just follow the details in the links and don't forget to run Windows Update after Stinger.

3tg 23:22 04 Jan 2004

the computer only stays connected for a couple of minutes, how long does it take to download "Stinger" ? cheers

cycoze 23:31 04 Jan 2004

click here tells you how to stay connected as does click here .

3tg 23:33 04 Jan 2004

I have looked at the links and there are instructions how to stop the computer shutting down, I will give it a go, I have downloaded the blaster remover by Gaz 25 onto a floppy, now I just have to work out how to disable System Restore. Cheers

cycoze 23:54 04 Jan 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?