Help needed on buying a new Laptop

gusfoe 15:54 15 Nov 2010

Hi, I am looking to buy a laptop for around £450 to £500 and have come across the following for £449 at PCWorld.

click here
Intel® Core™ i3-370M Processor - 2.40 GHz
RAM - 4 GB
Graphics card Intel® HD Graphics
Hard drive 320 GB

click here
AMD Phenom II X3 Processor P820 - 1.8 GHz
3GB installed DDR3 RAM
Graphics card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
Hard drive 320GB

It will mainly be used for browsing the internet, e-mails, and possibly a bit of photo and video editing. I am not really a gamer.

However, I am a bit confused regarding the processors. Are the new Intel processors superior to the AMD ones or are they similar in performance?
As the Acer has integrated graphics, would the better all rounder be the HP with the dedicated graphics card? Although I am not really into gaming will the Acer play any games at all?
I will hopefully connect the laptop via the HDMI connection to my TV. Will both of these be ok for this?
Are Acer and HP reliable manufacturers?
Does anybody have any other suggestions for around £500?

Many Thanks

HondaMan 15:58 15 Nov 2010
  GaT7 17:19 15 Nov 2010

The Intel CPU (Acer) is better of the two, but may not make any real-world difference for your usage.

Both will let you connect a TV via HDMI as both have dedicated HDMI ports, & very possibly capable of displaying a Full HD (1920*1080) picture on your TV as well (TV permitting).

Either will be fine graphics-wise as you don't play playing games, but the Acer may have the slight edge of the two overall on account of its better CPU & an extra Gb of RAM, both of which are useful for photo/video editing.

Another to consider: is this £460 HP G62-b17SA click here: CPU is equivalent to your HP, but 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD & dedicated GPU. The product sheet from click here mentions a HDMI port. G

P.S. You can compare any laptop CPU at click here: make your choices by putting a tick next to the ones you want to compare & click on the 'Restrict' button. Ctrl + F in your browser to search for specific ones quickly (Laptops graphics comparison if needed: click here, click here & click here)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?