Help! Need new printer!

laurag34 09:38 21 Sep 2007

I've been scouring the internet for the past 48 hours and am no wiser!! My current printer/scanner/copier is an HP PSC 2355 and its given up the ghost, so I'm looking for a new printer/scanner! I'm a fan of HP, so I'd rather stick with this brand, but can anyone recommend the best HP model around at the moment, I have a budget of £150 and mainly use the printer for black/white printing as I use it for work, but also need quick scanning capability and I do print the odd photos for personal use :-) So if anyone can recommend something, please do!! Its driving me insane! :-) Take care, Laura x

jack 14:05 21 Sep 2007

Laure - check out the HP site to their current model range surely -they may even tell you where to go for a supply

spuds 17:41 21 Sep 2007

This link may give you an idea as to what is available click here

TopCat® 18:00 21 Sep 2007

The "Best Buy" in the latest PCA mag, issue 148, is the HP PhotoSmart C4280 at £80 inc VAT (click here)

In case you don't have the mag the reviewer said: "The C4280 is a good MFD - provided you can see past the unreliable paper tray and noisy operation. Prints are of an extremely high quality, even in draft mode. Text was fine and crisp, but scanning was fairly slow, although the results were faithful. The array of memory card slots is good. The lack of PictBridge counts against an otherwise impressive machine." TC.

laurag34 18:33 21 Sep 2007

Thanks for all your help, funnily enough the C4280 was where I started as they had it in teso at £80 but when I read the reviews, it mentioned the noisy operation and unreliable paper try and that put me off, I could really do without a slow scanner as well. I've gone through quite a few HPs this afternoon, (and even a few Lexmark, Epsom and Brother) but whenever I look at reviews, there is always things that put me off! In our local Staples they had a HP 7140 Officejet reduced to £100 which looked great, bit bigger than I'd normally go for, but then I found out it was discontinued and you can't get parts for it anymore. Am I just being too fussy?? I think if the C4280 was the best buy then I may just go back to my original plan and get that one :-)) I can also get a HP Deskjet C5180 for £99.99 which also looked a nice machine, but the reviews said you were better to go for a Canon 500, but when you look at that it says the scan quality is mediocre, so I looked at the Canon 600 and it says that again the scanner could be improved, but overall that did seem to get good reviews. I've never had a Canon before, but I'm wondering if the Canon 600 is the better bet? Any thoughts? :-) Take care, Laura x

TopCat® 20:46 21 Sep 2007

comes about from a total of only five machines available for review at PCA at that time. The others were the Epson Stylus DX4400, which is recommended, the Brother DCP-350C, the Canon Pixma MP160 and the Canon Pixma MP180. TC.

laurag34 20:49 21 Sep 2007

Okie dokie, well I went for the HP C5180 and I've just got it home! So I'll pop back on later and let you know how I get on :-))) Thanks for all your help Laura x

spoton 16:31 24 Sep 2007

I have just seen this thread and thought I could offer some information. I have a photosmart c5180, excellent quality all round. However, my yellow cartridge ran out of ink, result, nothing will print, even a letter all in black. HP tell me that this printer puts yellow under the black 'to ensure good quality black print'. Therefor on my machine all other cartridges show 'full' but yellow empty = machine will not print anything. Moral of the story, keep a spare yellow at all times. They also told me that if any other colour runs out, black might print but 'with quality deducted'.

laurag34 16:44 24 Sep 2007

I am loving the printer! Thanks for the tip, I'm going to stock up on the inks now :-) Luckily my boss pays for them, so I'll get two of each to keep me going :-) But I'm very happy with it! Love the addition of the photo tray :-) So far so good :-)

spoton 16:53 24 Sep 2007

Good luck with the c5180. I have read other threads relating tales of computer slowing down or freezing etc but have not encountered any of that at all. All I can say is that the software gives itself an administrator level account status which you might want to change later on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?