Help, need advice on spec & computer pls

Julian-205848 14:46 11 Feb 2005

Hello,

I have a rather tired old and unworthy Time computer. The least said about that, the better.

I am looking to purchase a computer for upto a £1000 or just a wee bit more if good!

I am used to rather slow internet speeds, applications crashing, Office freezing, genrally a slow malaise that infuriates me and spurs me into wanting to smash the living hell out of it.

My plea is for help in buying a system that runs fast, reliable, has excellent capabilities 4 running multiple packages without slowing down. I have been looking at DELL 8400 and was looking at Mesh, but the responses on this forum & experiences have all been less than favourable.

I would like a pentium 4, probably 1024 RAM and 250gb hard drive, 17" flat screen. Is this the right road to go along?? The problem is I don't know which manufacturer etc or what configuration?

Can you give me any advice?

Julian-205848 14:56 11 Feb 2005

Also, I forgot to mention that I mainly use the computer for my assignments at UNI, save a lot of revision work, Journals, and research on it, spending many hours on the internet and am a heavy internet user who downloads a lot.

I dont use the computer for games or listen to music on the internet. I would like to think that this computer will be highly functional and on has intel pentium 4 but with future functionality built in so that i may upgrade later with ease and not have to rely on any particular manufacturers products for upgrade.

A £1000 is a LOT of money for me and I wish to use it wisely. I need help coz I am a complete and utter novice in this in all respects.. TA!

imakemist 15:48 11 Feb 2005

£1000 is a lot of money for a pc these days. As you don't want to play games or listen to music you don't need a high powered computer. I am an Open University student and recently treated myself to a fairly basic laptop. It's a Toshiba and cost me £399 in the PCWorld sale. The portability aspect is so useful. I have a Broadband internet connection which works a treat, use Mozilla Firefox web browser and Wordperfect 11 which gives me brilliant word processing, spreadsheet and graphics capability and beats Microsoft out of sight. Wordperfect 12 is available now but is expensive. I got wp11 from Amazon for under £20. If you want a desktop, take a look at the middle of the range offerings from companies like Tiny and Evesham, otherwise you may find you have spend a lot of money on facilitied that you never use. This is not intended as criticism, but is just an attempt to be helpful. Best of luck with your studies.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:22 11 Feb 2005

512mb of RAM and a 160Gb HD are more than enough. You will find no difference if you gat a cheaper AMD processor model. Including a 17" TFT, you should be able to but a suitable Compaq from PCW for less than £700, add a £60 external HD for saving all your work and you will be well pleased.

G

fuzzyone 16:41 11 Feb 2005

click here

click here

click here

jayan, these systems will all give you change from £1000, and should be very capable of everything you require.

Mortticia 17:03 11 Feb 2005

You could do a lot worse than visit PC World, you can see the machines working and I am sure that for your needs you will spend a lot less than £1000.

Kansenji 22:10 12 Feb 2005

I cannot see any reason to buy a Pentium processor when you can get quicker AMD Athlons for less. I have never noticed any difference other than the price!

TomJerry 23:59 12 Feb 2005

PC World has a lot of great offers these days, cheak it out yourself

There are some great offers from Dell as well

You may not need to spend £1000, £700 should be fine, no need for 1024MB RAM, 512 should b sufficient

TomJerry 00:02 13 Feb 2005

PCWorld

Intel Pentium 4 530 Processor

3.00GHz Clock-Speed

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

512Mb Ram, 160Gb Hard Disk

DVD Re-Writer

7-In-1 Media Card Reader

17" TFT Monitor

One Years Free Onsite Warranty

£699 click here

TomJerry 10:01 13 Feb 2005

£999 PHILIPS FREELIN LS1100, you can use it as a TV and VCR as well

Intel Pentium 4 540 Processor 3.20GHz Clock-Speed

MS Windows XP Media Center Edition

512Mb Ram

250Gb Hard Disk

128Mb Graphics

DVD Rom/ Re-Writer Drive

17" TFT Monitror

One Years Free Onsite Warranty

click here

Julian-205848 15:08 13 Feb 2005

Hi thanks for all the advice. I don't really know why I want intel, just that thats all others seem to talk about!

Although I'd love to buy a cheaper machine, I want one that is easily upgradeable and has that built in to the machine. Maybe coz the Time machine was such a disappointment I want to be able to have a very fast machine.

I do save a lot of my uni stuff on computer and am always on the web browsing and downloading research files so thats why I thought to get a good reliable computer.

I looked at the evesham website and dell, and theyre all pretty good. I also iked the novatech computer configuration.

What do you guys think of MESH? Are they good?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

How artist Alex Yanes worked with his daughter on this bright 3D mural for Monument Valley 2

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le lancement du Galaxy Note 8 en direct ?