help me decide what desktop to buy

sanj18 18:08 21 May 2009

my hp desktop had a few issues and i had to reinstall windows but used a copied disc and it wont update so it cant download new sofware so im stuck with wmp 9 and the old explorer aswell as losing all my drivers and no audio at all, the computer looks beyond repair and i think the best thing for me to do is to buy a new computer but i need help deciding which to buy.

1st computer:
Acer Aspire M5201 Quad Core 4GB 1.2TB PC Base Unit - Dedicated graphics and Blu-Ray
spec:
Accessories Included none
Audio Features yes
Brand Acer
Bundle Contains PC base unit
Card Reader Yes
Features of Keyboard wired with multimedia keys
Features of Mouse wired optical
Features of Product Powerful AMD Phenom™ X4 Quad-Core processor combined with 4096MB RAM for demanding multi tasking environments. Sizeable 1.2TB Hard Disk Drive for ample media storage. Blu-ray Disc™ reader with DVD RW drive. High performance visuals with NVIDIA 9500GS graphics. Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium offers a seamless and easy to use operating system
Further Information 1.2TB (2X640GB) Hard Drive
Graphics NVIDIA 8600GT 256MB
Graphics Dedicated Yes
Hard Drive Type SATA
Memory Size 4GB
Number of PCI Express Ports 2
Number of USB Ports 8x USB 2.0
Operating System Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Optical Drive Blu-ray Compatible Yes
Optical Drive HD Compatible Yes
Optical Drive Lightscribe Compatible No
Optical Drive Type DVD Dual Layer Re-Writer
Processor AMD Phenom™ X4
Processor Bus 3600MHz
Processor Cache 2MB
Processor Model Number 9550
Processor Speed 2.2GHz
Product Depth 45.5 cm
Product Height 37 cm
Product Weight 11.1
Product Weight Units kg
Product Width 18.3 cm
Software Load Acer Empowering Technology (eRecovery, eSettings Management) Acer Arcade™ Live Acer GameZone Console Microsoft® Office 2007 Trial with Microsoft® Works 8.5 eSobi™ McAfee® Internet Security Suite 2008 (60-day trial) Adobe® Reader® NTI CD&DVD-Maker™ Gold

COST: £449.00

2nd computer:
ACER M3641 REFURBISHED PC Base Unit
spec
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor
2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB Cache
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
4GB DDR2 667MHz memory
640GB SATA hard drive (7200rpm)
NVIDIA® GeForce 7100 graphics
Blu-Ray Reader and DVD Rewriter
12-in-1 media card reader
8x USB ports (4x front, 4x rear)
1x IEEE 1394 FireWire® port

COST: £399.99

the thing is the hp pc i have has given me problems since i bought it a few years back and its got an amd 64 processor and i kinda feel is is smart to buy another amd afater my experience with that brand of cpu

the 2nd pc has intel but is a refurb and might have had problems and retured by a customer

which pc out of those do you feel i should buy?
btw i dont want to build one myself as i want it to be reliable and im going to use it for multimedia - music, videos, work, web not really gaming

cheers :)

1st pc - Acer Aspire M5201 Quad Core 4GB 1.2TB PC Base Unit - Dedicated graphics and Blu-Ray - click here

2n pc - ACER M3641 Refurbished PC Base Unit - click here#

user8 18:12 21 May 2009

If it was me i would stay clear of Acer as support in the past has been poor.
Have a look at Novatech @ click here
Great customer service & support every time!

sanj18 18:33 21 May 2009

thanks user8 but looking at a similar price pc on nova tech i only get 2gb ram, 320gb hard drive and a dvd rewriter regardless of the support the specs dont come near to the 1's ive considered and they are £10-£50 cheaper

user8 18:39 21 May 2009

Google Acer & you will get much written about them, some good, some bad!
The 1st one would be the one to go for, but just remember it's an Acer!!

sanj18 19:13 21 May 2009

thanks user8 but you kinda get that with most brands because some people say hp is the best brand for pcs but in my opinion its the complete opposite do you think its worth me spending £50 more and gaining 640 gb harddrive better graphics over the cpu, or would you buy a refurbished desktop

birdface 20:24 21 May 2009

If you have a COA sticker on the side of your computer with the keycode on it.It is just a matter of borrowing the same disc from a friend or neighbor. If it says XP home On the COA sticker you would have to use that disc and none other.Once downloaded it is just a matter of adding the keycode in and it should be Ok.

Drivers.You can use this its free.

click here

sanj18 09:27 22 May 2009

buteman will it find the drivers for my hp pavillion pc so that i can get my audio back and everything else

birdface 09:54 22 May 2009

It should find all driver that are needed.It will tell you what drivers are for the sound and either let it download them or go to the makers site and download them from there.
Sometimes the sound can be disabled in the Bios so make sure that is running.

keef66 12:16 22 May 2009

I'd second that; clean install of XP followed by the neccessary drivers and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I just did that on our 7 year old desktop with an AMD Athlon processor,and I can't believe how much it's improved.

(had to do it, the motherboard was failing, but that was a good excuse for the format / reinstall)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?