Help I'm lost

over40 08:28 15 Dec 2005

I've got a voucher for PC world (work related tax dodge) for £1300 and I want to get a PC (19" monitor), and a wireless connection to NTL cable broadband. I've found PC World less than trustworthy when it comes to advice. I've found I've gone from being able to build my last PC (okay it was a few years ago and now it's slow) to being bamboozled by all the new stuff (it may be age). Can anybody offer any advice on their deals (I've a voucher for 10% of over a grand PC's)

Some, but not serious gaming. Downloading and burning and general use.

SG Atlantis® 08:38 15 Dec 2005

you haven't much choice here's my choice given what you said click here

Stuartli 09:06 15 Dec 2005

Seems like a lot of money to spend to "save" £1,300.

You can spend much less and still be better off...:-)

Mesh has a sale at present. See, for instance, this example:

click here

SG Atlantis® 09:07 15 Dec 2005

PCWorld don't sell Mesh computers Stuartli

jack 09:07 15 Dec 2005

To my mind 'Branded'kit such as PCW offer is price for price much of a muchness- some have this some have that- you wind up choosing the prettiest box.
One thing is almost for certain -as you have said you have built your own in the past - Any such machine will be virtually as sealed box [unabgradeable] built to a spec and stuck with it.
Could you not buy bits from the 'Brown box' shelves and build one to your own spec. And then add at your own expense at a later time?
For example in this way stuff like monitor and keyboard you couild retain and speend the dosh on better kit.

Stuartli 09:08 15 Dec 2005

It's just an example rather than a suggestion - there's also Evesham, Scan, Dabs, Novatech etc.

Most companies allow upgrades to, say, a 19in monitor etc.

Stuartli 09:11 15 Dec 2005

>>PCWorld don't sell Mesh computers>>

Now there's a surprise...:-)

If you read my posting again you should get my drift.

In fact there are one or two outlets that sell Mesh systems other than the company itself.

SG Atlantis® 09:12 15 Dec 2005

jack the compaq I bought is easy to upgrade. Standard ATX PSU, socket 939 AMD and PCI-E graphics, easily upgradeable and all current standards, SATA hdds.

It's the presario sr1639uk from PCW.

SG Atlantis® 09:14 15 Dec 2005

lol, over40 says they have a voucher for PCWORLD.

will Mesh take it?

:P

Stuartli 09:15 15 Dec 2005

Actually I should have stated £100, which is 10 per cent minimum off systems costing £1,000 or more.

Over40 states: ("I've a voucher for 10% off over a grand PCs").

Stuartli 09:17 15 Dec 2005

The voucher has nothing to do with it other than the fact that it's worth 10 per cent off systems at PC World costing £1,000 or more.

The point is that you can/could spend less and get just as good, if not better value elsewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?