Help, I need a new PC ,£1 - 1200 to spend

snapperz 14:17 19 Nov 2005

Hi
I'm looking to replace my 5 year old Evesham workhorse with something faster. I'm a photographer so I need plenty of storage space, 250GB I guess and a fast processor with lots of RAM.
I use Phtotoshop, Quark, Word, and various other photo packages.
I don't play games at all or listen to much music on the computer.
I've got £1000 to £1200 to spend if necessary. The Mesh systems seem good value but get poor consumer write ups.
Any ideas gladly accepted, thanks

stylehurst 14:25 19 Nov 2005

Have a look at Novatech.
Good service & reliable

sharkfin 14:44 19 Nov 2005

Evesham: click here Should be plenty powerful for your needs and also furture proof. 1024 MB of RAm, perfect for picture/video editing, Dual processor, 200GB HD and PCi-e graphics card.

Cybermaxx 14:46 19 Nov 2005

The (already emntioned in another topic) base unit that ALDI are selling next week could fit the bill.

click here

snapperz 14:46 19 Nov 2005

Thanks, Stylehurst.
What I really would like to know, as I don't intend playing games, do I need a fast graphics card, are these used with still images, I need a decent large 19"ish monitor, waht other spec should look for. I hear PC next day are decent, any views on them or personal favourites welcome. thanks
Snapperz

pj123 15:28 19 Nov 2005

Try this one as well.

click here

Can't order online unfortunately, but give them a ring.

stylehurst 13:41 20 Nov 2005

Hi snapperz
In answer to your questions; I do a lot of mucking around with old photos and use Photoshop.
I find that my main requirements are a decent amount of RAM (not less than 1Gb) A reasonable Video card (not the most recent) but with at least 256Mb of onboard RAM, and a decent monitor CRT or TFT.
I used to use a 19" Mitsubishi, but have recently changed to a 19" Sony TFT.
I usually have a 2nd HDD for photo storage.
Hope this info helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone