Help deciding modem and router

Scott1234567 04:40 10 Dec 2014

Looking for help optimizing my home internet. I use XFinity (Comcast) internet in my apartment in San Francisco (1700 sq feet).

Issue: Paying for 50 mbps down speed but only getting 20-30 mbps in living room, and 5-10 mbps in bedrooms. I understand that there are limitations to our modem and router. We don't need 50 mbps everywhere but hopefully improve the service. We already have done minor tweaks to router (changed channels, set up WPA2 security, etc.)

Current Set-Up

Modem: Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem click here Cisco-Linksys WRT400N Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router click here I noted above...we're not looking to get max performance just trying to improve performance without breaking the bank too much (rent in SF is expensive enough).

We also have this modem: Netgear CGD24G which we are not using at all (I think its a modem/router combo) click here 1**: Would using the Netgear Router Gateway as simply the modem (and still using the Asus router) improve our internet speed? I understand that the current modem is limiting our speed (i.e. can't get to max 50).

Question 2: If we were simply trying to improve the range, how much marginal benefit would be get from adding a wireless extender link this one: click here 3**: Would going all in and buying an impressive router like Asus n66u solve our range issues, or will the router itself not fix that? click here 4: Is there any simple fixes or better suggestions I'm simply missing?

Thanks in advance! If I broke any etiquette rules let me know and happy to amend!

Router: Questions

As **Question **Question Question

Forum Editor 17:43 10 Dec 2014

Paying for 50 mbps down speed but only getting 20-30 mbps in living room, and 5-10 mbps in bedrooms.

The first thing to say is that it's a good idea to run several different speed tests using different servers before you make judgements about any steps you need to take to improve things.

I have a BT Infinity connection here, in London. Testing on the company's server showed a downstream speed of 72 mbps and an upload speed of 15 mbps.

Then I used Comcast's test on the Washington DC server. That gave me 60.8 downstream and 8.7 upstream.

The speed difference between your living room and bedrooms could be down to one or more reasons - the wireless network speed (dictated by your router), intervening walls, and the number of people using the connection at any one time (contention).

You can't improve the speed on the inbound line, but your modem/router combination is what will make a difference. Your current modem can handle a maximum of 30 mbps in each direction. The Netgear CGD24G can act as a range extender with its built-in wireless access point, and will support up to 54 mbps, so that's worth a try.

Scott1234567 06:37 11 Dec 2014

Thanks! So are you suggesting using the Netgear as the modem and an extender?

Sorry--could you clarify?

Forum Editor 23:18 12 Dec 2014

"So are you suggesting using the Netgear as the modem and an extender?"

Yes, I'm suggesting that it's worth a try, although there no guarantees. It can certainly deliver a higher downstream speed than your current router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?