Help with choosing a good pc for graphic design

erkmatrix 20:42 26 Mar 2006

Hi I'm after some advice on what machine to go for graphic design. I want a pc not a mac though as all my current software is for a PC. Buget is about £1600 max. What happened to the old review section with the top chart, I used to always rely on that. Is there anywhere else with a top ten or 5 on the market for me to check out the spec for the most suitable for art. I won't be using it for games so its mainly just for running photoshop and corel painter.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Phil

Totally-braindead 20:51 26 Mar 2006

Its not been put back on the website, if you want to see the Top 10 you'll have to buy the magazine.

ade.h 21:38 26 Mar 2006

So not so much about a bells and whistles graphics card, more about lots of RAM (fast stuff preferred) and a decent CPU.

So I would plump for anything with a Pentium D (great number cruncher) and dual-channel DDR2 with a decent clock speed. Plus a decent monitor - large with high res and very good image quality.

There should be a plethora of such machines in your budget, though an original-spec screen might need an upgrade. Your budget would buy that sort of spec in a base unit, plus a seperate screen of your choice, with change to spare.

As to where to go; not sure. There's a lot of choice out there.

wee eddie 17:20 27 Mar 2006

To consider 2 Screens.

One to display the whole object and a second so that you can work on the detail in a magnified view.

erkmatrix 21:51 27 Mar 2006

Are there any good dual monitors that you recommend, I've configured a decent base unit over at Evesham which should do for the machine.

Phil

ade.h 22:01 27 Mar 2006

You'll need to make sure that you spec a graphics card that can output to two monitors at once. Some nVidia models use something called Twinview, for example.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?