Help buying TFT monitor

Singerz 15:53 03 Jan 2006

Hi

I am looking at buying a new 19 inch flat panel monitor for gaming.

I am looking at spending around £200 and am considering either Samsung SM913N or Acer AL1916 Widescreen.

Does anyone know which one of these is the best or can anyone suggest another model?

Thanks!

Forum Editor 17:40 03 Jan 2006

TFT screens on the market that it's quite difficult to make a recommendation. I use two 19" TFTs on a daily basis - one is an AOC and the other an LG.

On balance I prefer the LG, although to be honest there's not that much difference between them in terms of display quality. The only real way to make judgments about monitors is to see them working - go to computer stores and see what they have on display. One person's idea of a good display isn't always the same as another's.

redmark 17:42 03 Jan 2006

PC World are selling a very nice Xerox (XA7 19i; totally flat glass panelled, black surround, very distinctive) for £240, about £40-£50 cheaper than I've seen on the web. No dead pixels, box says 8ms response time (website says 25ms...). Good contrast etc, looks very good. Rome TW / Barbarian Invasion looks stunning with all options set to highest (2 x 6600GT in SLi, AMD 3800+, 1gb RAM).

Other than that, I like the Viewsonics, VX912 and VX924, though again both are a little over budget (£240-£280) unless you find a good offer.

Munkeysbum 19:33 03 Jan 2006

I have just received a Samsung SM913N from Ebuyer.com and it is absolutley marvelous. I have paid £183 for it plus about £6 delivery and they delivered the goods early (Tuesday instead of Wednesday) if you want to view it the Quickfind code is 83914. I had my previous screen for 4 years and have only purchased new because I need a bigger screen, and, as usual I have chosen well.

I hope this helps to clarify your situation for you.

Munkey.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?