Hello im trying to figure out if this will upgrade my pc

GeorgeWilson 01:04 10 Jul 2014

So right now as it stands i have 8 gb of kingston hyperx gensis ram im gonna get 8 more gb or ram also im running a gtx 760 brand new my motherboard is a ga 990 fx UD3 My Cpu is AMD athlon (tm) II X4 640 processor 4 cpus ~3.0GHz now i plan to upgrade my cpu aswell with AMD FX-8350 8 Core Processor Socket AM3+ 4.0GHZ 16MB 125W Retail Box

will this upgrade my gaming? i want to be able to stop lagging on low and its pissing me off.

GeorgeWilson 01:07 10 Jul 2014

650W powersupply aswell

Menzie 16:47 10 Jul 2014

The 760 is a good GPU unfortunately that CPU is a bottleneck. I had the AMD phenom X4 840 before I upgraded to my current CPU (AMD FX 8320). Running my current GTX 660 I was surprised by the improvement in gaming performance over the old CPU which to me was plenty fast under Windows, browsing, etc.

I never understood why some have a disdain for AMD CPUs, I have had nothing but a positive experience of them since I've started building my own computers 15 years ago. For me they make solid reliable products at a good price that suits my personal needs well.

Each to their own I guess. Back on topic I'd suggest a CPU upgrade if possible as nothing really uses 16GB of RAM yet gaming wise except a handful of games such as Battlefield. Many games are still written in 32 bit code.

What temps are you getting with the current CPU, I only lagged on games such as Sleeping Dogs and Mafia 2 when I had my Phenom when pushing the settings too high.

Menzie 16:49 10 Jul 2014

What game is causing the lag in particular?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?