Held to ransom by ISP

PC_amateurLond 16:55 17 May 2006

Can anyone help me? I've been trying to cancel my contract with Talk Talk broadband since 10 April, due to unbelievably poor customer services and a shocking talent for leaving customers on the phone for hours on end charging them a fortune for the call, but not actually ever answering a call.

They have not responded to my request for over a month, despite numerous e-mails and phone calls from me chasing them to do it. They are holding me to ransom as every other ISP i talk to tell me they can't supply my broadband until Talk Talk supply the MAC code.

I have complained to their customer services, i have complained to Otelo and Ofcom for the fact that i keep getting ignored and the account is still not cancelled. I'm at my wits end with these people! I've even been sad enough to contact Watchdog!

What can i do to hijack this line back and get these people out of my life for good?

Jimmy14 16:59 17 May 2006

I thought that because they have brought out higher broadband speeds and competitive prices people are flocking to them.

I was willing to cancel my broadband with Tiscali and move to TalkTalk too.

PC_amateurLond 17:12 17 May 2006

The line had problems on it from the start, and being that you have to pay BT line rental anyway, Talk Talk could not resolve the problem - they just palmed me off on BT who, in the end could help but only if i took off the complaint from Talk Talk anyway!

Then the customer services battle started. In order to get the job done quickly, Talk Talk had to reverse the complaint about the line to BT. I don;t know if you've ever tried to call Talk Talk, but good luck ever speaking to an advisor about anything other than sales.

They're awful, so i requested to cancel, and now they're holding me to ransom!

Stuartli 17:16 17 May 2006

I've ordered the new TalkTalk package and have twice called customer services.

I've never waited more than approximately three minutes and always found the customer services staff very helpful.

Furthermore the 0870 number involved is free for TalkTalk phone customers...:-)

PC_amateurLond 17:31 17 May 2006

they have different departments that deal with different things. At the moment you're still in "sales" land.

Wait until you have an issue you want resolving.

I'm sure others may not have the same experience as me, but all i'm looking for is help to get me out of it, as they refuse to cancel my contract nor acknowledge my communications.

I used to be on the landline phone with them as well, but that had the same problems as broadband. They did however cancel this in good time - which has meant that all my subsequent calls to them have been from my new BT line to get rid of the broadband.

Jimmy14 17:45 17 May 2006

The only reason I was willing to change to TalkTalk was because my sister who works with TalkTalk recommended a 8mb bb connection and my phone line for £20 or £21 whatever it is and told me all the details on it so I was waiting till my year is up with Tiscali in July then changing.

I had bad problems with NTL when I lived in my own house. I kept phoning them to cancel my account and when I went to the bank on regular ocassions they were still taking BB payments 3 months after I cancelled. They finally after a long struggle reimbursed me and cancelled my account.

Stuartli 17:54 17 May 2006

The 0870 number to which I refer covers various matters.

Also see:

click here

ened 18:01 17 May 2006

I hope the grass remains greener....

I'm coming to the conclusion they're all as bad as each other!

Stuartli 18:06 17 May 2006

See the section headed The UK's Cheapest Broadband Providers at Martin Lewis's excellent website:

click here,

wee eddie 18:38 17 May 2006

I remember well your early postings here.

If you have been using a similar style there is little wonder that you are being left on hold.

Cool calm and reasonable usually wins the day.

shunter02 20:48 17 May 2006

Sadly Talk talk are snowed under with people wanting to tak up this "Free" offer. However i do know of someone who left BT & went to the great TT offer and who's internet speed has dropped from 2MB to 1MB!

I would hold fast and see what happens in the next 6 months. BT are challenging TT offer that it is not free & their is talk of other ISP's lowering their prices. Getting on to the TT offer is currently running at a 3 months backlog, that must say something for the fact that tech support are snowed under!

I'm a talk talk customer and i will stay with my own isp for the time being.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?