Heavy duty light bulbs

Ex plorer 14:39 17 Jan 2015

Hi I bought a 6 pack of these bulbs some weeks ago and didn't notice the Heavy Duty on the side of the pack.

It says:- Not suitable for household illumination on the side of each bulb packet and the box its self.

From what I have found on the Internet they are for industrial use and can take more hammer than most bulbs and were not banned.

It was mentioned they will not give off a true 40 60 100 watt light and they may be dimmer.

They may burn hotter suggested by an electrician not sure if that's correct but if they do I suppose its not advisable to put into bed side lamps etc.

I picked one up to day and asked for an explanation at the check out in a well known chain store the till girl didn't know but what surprised me was the manager said he didn't know what the bulbs were for.

I wonder how many people don't read what's on the packet (like I did) and use them for domestic use.

Its the price that's attractive 49p for 40 60 or 100 watts.

caccy 15:50 17 Jan 2015

They are sold because many people still want the light output that incandescent bulbs generate and not the light of the "energy saving" fluorescent bulbs.

BT 17:16 17 Jan 2015

The way I understand it is that 'Heavy Duty' light bulbs are slightly under-run so that they last longer and so give out a slightly lower level of illumination than standard light bulbs. They should actually run cooler than a normal bulb not hotter as has been suggested to you.

john bunyan 17:50 17 Jan 2015

It is just a "legal loophole" to sell incandescent bulbs. I still buy them for some parts of the house.

BT 08:30 18 Jan 2015

Talking about light bulbs, just how often do people need to change them. Personally its not that often. In the past 5 years I've only changed as far as I remember, the 25w CF in my Standard lamp last year, (he previous one had lasted about 8 years and is used everyday for several hours), and the small 40w incandescent in the bedside lamp (about 7 years old).

The lamps in my Cooker Hood which lasted a very short time and have now been replaced with 7w CF lamps which so far have lasted about 4 years. I've also changed the under cabinet incandescent fittings in the kitchen with linked flourescent fittings as again the incandescent tubes didn't last long.

I have a big box of spare lamps. I bought about 2 dozen 100&60w bulbs when Tesco were selling them off cheap before the 'ban' came in, and a stash of CFs which were being sold at 5 for £1 at the same time. Good job I did, have you seen what they charge for CFs now at least £1 each usually considerably more in reputable shops.

Forum Editor 08:49 18 Jan 2015

The industrial lamps have been sold to householders ever since the import and sale of incandescent lamps were banned throughout the EU on 1st September 2009.

The legislators didn't close the loophole because the volume of sales is low - very few people buy the lamps because the quality of low-energy lamps has improved by leaps and bounds.

My kitchen spotlights have a 25 year guarantee, and the light they produce is superb. It's a no-brainer really - long life and low running costs.

Ex plorer 10:24 19 Jan 2015

I have just bought three screw in bulbs for my kitchen at £2.00 each the light they give off is very good and a vast improvement on what what was in.

Today I saw some bulbs with Lightweight on them they are clear and from a well known store so I am giving them a try and at 59p, the light is bright and very satisfactory.

some are priced at £8.00 and to be honest never picked one up to see why.

Batch 11:51 23 Jan 2015

I find that CFs get dim after a year or so and need replacing anyhow. So nowhere near as cost saving as they would have us believe.

I've been using LED (SMD type) GU10 spot lights for a couple of years and they've been brilliant. Gone down from 400w for my kitchen ceiling lights (8 x 50w) to around 32w (8 x 4w).

Biggest issue I have is getting modern technology bulbs that fit some of my light fittings. In some cases I'll have to buy entirely new light fittings if I'm to use energy efficient bulbs.

BT 17:40 23 Jan 2015

Batch

Found this site earlier today and they seem to have just about every fitting available

LEDHut

Batch 20:38 24 Jan 2015

BT

Thanks for that, but....it isn't just the cap type (e.g. BC, SES, GU10, ES etc.) but the combination of the cap type with the bulb shape / function.

For example, I have a desk lamp that (historically) took a 75w BC R80 (R80 means that it is a reflector bulb that is 80mm across). I can get an ES CFL bulb that is sort of equivalent, but being ES it is NBG to me. I can't get a 75w R80 equivalent that has a BC cap. I can get an R60 CFL with a BC cap, but it is nowhere near bright enough (e.g. 40 or 50w equivalent).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?