HDMI Cable costs

I am Spartacus 13:03 26 Nov 2009

I noticed in my local Currys that they had a 3 Metre HDMI cable for £79.99. I recently bought a 3 metre cable from ebay for less than £5 including P&P. How can they justify such a massive markup?

Awshum 13:14 26 Nov 2009

The cable insulation, quality of the connections and gold/platinum plating or whatever plus a hhhuuuuugggggeeeee mark up.

A £5 cable does the job rightly for the average household.

An enthusiast or someone with too much money are the target for these cables.

sunnystaines 13:15 26 Nov 2009

I got the shop were i bought the monitor to throw in the cable, as they were for sale for silly prices.

wee eddie 13:28 26 Nov 2009

Unknown Manufacturer off the Net ~ made by Belkin from a neighbourhood Store with Staff

If we were talking Horses, how about comparing Dobbin & Red Rum.

Dobbin was bought off the net ~ unseen. Red Rum after a long lunch with his Trainer.

One might win the National, the other, have difficulty pulling Ernie's Milk Float!

donki 13:42 26 Nov 2009

The thing is the majority of people wont notice the difference with the cheaper cable and for those that do the difference certainly wont justify £79.99.

Its not just HDMI, DVI and VGA cables can cost considerably more in a highstreet store than online and dare I say there would be no difference in image quality.

I am Spartacus 13:44 26 Nov 2009

It's a digital signal with built in error correction so shouldn't it either work or not?

wee eddie 13:46 26 Nov 2009

But we all still have to drive at 30 in Town and 70 on the Motorway.

Awshum 14:11 26 Nov 2009

I have a Belkin HDMI that's RRP is £59.99<--- I didn't pay that!

I do not use it as the cable is too thick, won't bend easily and pushes on the port. HDMI ports are definately not as robust as USB for example.

When connected I cannot tell what benefit the Belkin cable offers over the £6.49 ones from Tesco.

Zurdo 17:24 26 Nov 2009

I got this from Amazon. Panasonic brand so no problems there and not too bad a price click here

spuds 17:49 26 Nov 2009

I purchase all my cables from Ebuyer (in bulk on promo)or Poundland,and never had any problems.

On my early days of plenty of new spare time and computing, I contacted a very well known cable manufacturer about two of their products which appeared to be the same in manufacture, but vastly different in price. Shock and horror, I was told "Use the cheaper one, you will not notice any difference". And since that day, I have always bought the cheapest, with great satisfaction. After all, if the cheap one fails, then bin it, which I have never had to do yet.

wjrt 18:37 26 Nov 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?