HD V HD READY TV

picklsey 15:52 16 Jul 2009

i have a hd ready tv going to upgrade to a larger screen,i have sky hd just now.

what i,m trying to work out if there will be any difference in picture quality as i have sky hd.i know there is a difference in resolution between ready and full.

in short do i get full hd just now with sky hd.

2bathred 19:32 16 Jul 2009

If you switch between the cricket on Sky sports 1 and Sky sports HD, the agony on the faces of the Aussies, as they were reduced to a draw, is so much clearer.
Come on England grind the B......S down.
In answer to your question, Yes.

oresome 21:01 16 Jul 2009

HD broadcast signals are likely to be 720p or 1080i format due to bandwidth restrictions. These nevertheless provide four times the detail of a Standard Definition signal. (You may be viewing a screen with four times the area of the one you used to watch standard definition on of course.)

The highest quality 1080p format signals are available from certain games boxes and blue-ray players.

I think that 'HD ready' implies the screen can be either 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080.

If your current TV is the former, then you will see an increase in picture quality on a 1920 x 1080 screen when watching a 1080i broadcast.

Stuartli 09:44 17 Jul 2009

My 26in LCD "HD Ready" TV has a high definition resolution of 1366x768.

picklsey 14:53 17 Jul 2009

thanks for the replies.i will probably go for hd ready then and save a few bob.

2bathred re the cricket no thanks i would find it more exciting watching paint dry lol,but thanks for the reply.

Stuartli 16:04 17 Jul 2009

The quality of an HD TV depends very much on the display's electronics circuitry, that's why the more expensive the set the superior the display.

If you study manufacturers' television set lineups, you'll notice that there are generally two or three ascending price bands per screen size.

Most people might not be aware of the differences, but you do get what you pay for in the end.

Another point that might not be realised is that modern LCD and plasma sets are vastly superior and with very much larger screen sizes than in the past, yet in real terms cost very much less.

I paid £499.99 for a Toshiba 21in TV with the then just launched Nicam sound system in 1990, which was a lot of money in those days. It had the standard of speakers required to do the sound justice.

Over the years this model continued in its basic form and by the early part of this decade was down to £139.99...:-)

It's still in use in the home of a family member with a Freeview STB attached.

picklsey 18:33 17 Jul 2009

yes i agree with you that you get what you pay for.thanks for the comment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone