Has Plusnet just blown it?

bart warstein 00:02 16 Apr 2006

Based on reviews and comments in various forums, and the recent PC Advisor poll, I'm in the process if signing up Plusnet broadband. I'm a new user, so still awaiting line-checking and activation etc. I chose Plusnet because they rated highly on quality of service, user-friendliness, and customer support. But in the last week or two there seems to have been a sudden avalanche of complaints about (a) server failures, email blockages etc - ie poor quality service; (b) the link-up with Tiscali, notorious as one of the most impersonal and user-unfriendly ISPs; and (c) Plusnet's shift from a lo-call customer support phoneline to a premium rate 090 number - when free or lo-call helplines are for many a key attraction. So has Plusnet suddenly gone pear-shaped, and if so why? And should I extricate myself before I get locked into a year's contract with them!

Taff™ 08:16 16 Apr 2006

Take the £11.75 one off payment for a monthly contract option. I have several friends on PlusNet and there have been a few problems in recent weeks with their upgrading processes, mainly with their new servers but everything seems to be working fine now.

Plusnet have extensive self help online and you can find answers to most problems there. (Or just post here on the forums!) In all honesty I can`t say that I`ve used their telephone helpline all that often and probably like others it`s been a "lazy option".

Charence 14:28 16 Apr 2006

"(b) the link-up with Tiscali, notorious as one of the most impersonal and user-unfriendly ISPs; and (c) Plusnet's shift from a lo-call customer support phoneline to a premium rate 090 number"

That doesn't look good, however, apart from being disconnected briefly a few times earlier this month PlusNet has so far been great. I have no comment for Customer Service because I've never had a problem (touchwood) which required me to contact them. PlusNet have been much more reliable than my previous ISPs and are also very cheap. I'd definately recommend PlusNet.

Stuartli 15:21 16 Apr 2006

Have a look at:

click here

check out whether your exchange is enabled for ADSL Max and then your individual exchange's details.

It lists which ISPs (or at least some of them) that will be offering this feature.

researcher 22:58 18 Apr 2006

I've been having dreadfull problems with Plusnet over the last two weeks. Speeds (on a theoretical 2MB service) have been 120kbps with an average of 50kbps.

They only yesterday agreed that my speeds seem low and are investigating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires