Has anyone heard of Egold? please

erkmatrix 21:20 18 Feb 2008

Hi I've won this $300 on this competition, but instead of money I've been paid in egold which is like money apparently but not in any currency and claims to be 100% safe, they have a website. On their site it says you can use independent exchanges to get your egold into cash but they all want to transfer in to your bank account and didn't know if this is safe, the exchange I was thinking of using to sell this gold is called London Gold Exchange, I think they take 8%. And say Domestic Bank Transfer or international Bank Wire.

Honest opinion should I bother or is it risky giving some company I've never heard of bank transfer details.

Cheers for any help.

MCE2K5 21:23 18 Feb 2008

Did you enter a competition?

MCE2K5 21:24 18 Feb 2008

Just found this click here

erkmatrix 21:32 18 Feb 2008

Hi, no its not a phisher website thing as I did enter the competition, filling out this questionaire and I found the egold website myself not from a phising link on a bogus website, so it mainly I just wanted to know if I gave this London Gold Exchange.com my bank transfer details , is that safe, how does a bank transfer work.

mikeben121 22:04 18 Feb 2008

Its just a sophisticated phishing site. Makes it look real by adding the extra bit of the competition. I would strongly advise against having anything to do with it.

You don't get anything for nothing in this life!

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:38 18 Feb 2008

You really need to ask about this?

G

Totally-braindead 23:32 18 Feb 2008

If you really have won this money why can they not send you a check? The answer because you will not get any money and they want your bank account details for some dubious purpose.

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Its up to you of course.

tillybaby 07:42 19 Feb 2008

These people will try anything but at least junipaire had the good sense to ask a question about it first rather than just believing them as many people do,

The other month I received a very convincing letter through the post that stated one of my relatives (I don't have any) had passed away in some foreign country and left a pot load of money. If I didn't claim this money then it would automatically go to the government of the country. All they wanted me to do was forward my bank account details so they could deposit the money for me --- Yeah right!!

These scams come in all manner of ways.

Forum Editor 16:54 19 Feb 2008

1. Did you enter a competition in the real sense - having to use skill or knowledge to answer questions - or did you simply respond to a so-called 'questionnaire' that you received via email, or saw on a website?

2. Why should a competition winner receive $300 in egold, rather than plain old real money?

3. Some sixth sense is telling you to be suspicious, isn't it?

If you're really itching to get your hands on this money, open a Paypal account, turn your egold into cash and tell them to pay it into your payPal account.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache