Has anyone else tried this service?

Slimey 15:39 23 Jan 2006

I’ve found a new service called text4price which has been hugely helpful to me while shopping for electronic gifts at Christmas.

Although I spend a lot of time online looking for deals I still go to the high street stores to physically see the items I want to buy, particularly with electronics. Sometimes I’m tempted to buy the goods there and then while in the shop but I like to make sure I’m onto a good deal, that’s where text4price comes in …

While in a shop you can send a text with the word “Find” then the name of whatever electrical appliance you want to know the best price of to 84070 – within 1 minute, it will send you a SMS back with the lowest online price for this item. Note that the text only costs 25p but it could save you much more.

I found it very useful while shopping for a Play Station Portable. At the time, PSPs were out of stock practically everywhere (including online). I went shopping to Cardiff and went into Dixons which had some PSP in stock. You could only buy a ‘bundle 1GIGA pack including games’. I was not overly interested in the games they offered as part of the pack but they claimed that the memory card alone was £100. Based on that information it seemed a good deal even if I was not keen on the games but I wanted to make sure … I sent the details of the 1Gig duo memory stick to text4price to find out the cheapest online price … £60, the deal was not so attractive anymore! I did not buy it then and ended up finding a better deal elsewhere.

Its the first time I have seen this in the UK, does anyone else know of simliar services so I can add the numbers to my mobile phone address book?

Their website is click here

spuds 15:53 23 Jan 2006

Personally, I prefer click here click here click here

Slimey 16:09 23 Jan 2006

but you have to be infront of a PC with these guys. I thought the fact you can get the lowest price by SMS on your mobile was quite useful.

You could use the lower price to haggle with the shop assistant?

spuds 17:21 23 Jan 2006

With those links I get the best prices, make a print-out, show the store hoping they will price match. Cuts out all the haggling with a shop assistant ;o)

Forum Editor 17:37 23 Jan 2006

for commercial purposes Slimey - especially when it's done in this rather underhanded way.

I wish you luck with your business venture, but if you'll take a word of advice from someone with a good deal of experience in these matters - be upfront and open with people, it will pay dividends in the long run

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?