Hardly anything to do with computers but,

misery 19:48 30 May 2003

I'm trying to discover if a GPS unit would allow me, on behalf of other greybeard golfers, to plot distances on our local course. i.e. how far from the tee/ how far to the hole etc., from various trees/streams hollows etc.? Any ideas gratefully received. B.B.

microswift 21:20 30 May 2003

I think GPS only tells you where you are and not how far you are from any given point, but since I dont have a unit I could't say for sure.

mikef™ 21:22 30 May 2003

Misery this is how they do the measurements you see on TV, before the round they get the exact position of the tee on the GPS and the same for the flag, they then go to where the ball lands get those figures and work out the distances.

However, as my club captain, I must point out if you use it in competition you will be disqualified for using outside assistance. :-)

TBH1 21:43 30 May 2003

mikef is absolutely right, it is used on the tele and you would be disqualified using it,
Just do what most of us hackers do - - -ah, that looks like a big hit with a 5 iron - - or maybe a littler one with a 4 - - - then again, might try me 5 wood - - nope really big hit with a 6 iron, then line it up , belt it and watch your ball role all of 25 yards then say I knew I used the wrong stick - - -should have bin the 4 !!!!!!

Forum Editor 08:52 31 May 2003

on PGA courses is this:

1. The PGA course is accurately surveyed using GPS, and the precise locations of known reference points are entered into special software. The course is surveyed, inch by inch, until a very detailed map is built up.

2. During a tournament Laser sighting instruments are positioned on each fairway and by each green. These devices can measure the distance between two points within one eighth of an inch over 700 metres.

3. As each ball comes to rest, it's sighted by a 'walking scorer' - a member of a team of people trained in using the equipment. The scorer then sights two other known reference points and the data are sent (using wireless technology) to the course data centre. Here, the precise location of the ball with reference to the hole (and several other points) is calculated exactly, and the information relayed to the scoring centre, TV and radio crews etc.

4. Other walking scorers use PDAs to enter information about each shot played - stance, swing, club used etc., and this is also relayed back to the data centre.

If you don't have a few million dollars to spend on all this, but you do have about £300 you can use a laser ranger to measure ball to flag distances to within a metre
click here

misery 12:41 31 May 2003

for the info, I was just hoping by standing on the tee with a GPS and getting a position, I could then walk to the tree/stream/feature and take a further reading of the new position and work out the distance/s, gradually building up a map of the course over a period of time. Assuming I live that long:-).

misery 12:44 31 May 2003

TBH1, been there, done that, and thrown the sticks away!!! Thanks to everyone for their advice, always someone out there has done or knows of it. What a superb site isn't it? B.B.

-pops- 13:12 31 May 2003

Why not cut out the middleman and devise a robot to do it ALL for you? You can then spend more time in the clubhouse.

Seriously, don't you thing that any/all aids like this ruin the spirit of competition which, after all, is supposed to be what it's all about?

Brian

misery 18:36 31 May 2003

True, the competition is all about you against the course, unless in a matchplay scenarion but, I and my compatriots would dearly like to know if the set of trees/stream/oob are at 220 mtrs or 170, as greybeards tend to have faculties which can be a little overoptimistic at times. But there again so do normal golfers :-))

fitshase 19:41 31 May 2003

You could always buy an aerial photo of the golf course and then scale the distances from that.

OR

You could by an Ordinance Survey map of the area with a large scale and then measure the distances from there using a scale rule.

If you did go down the route of the GPS, then you can measure the distances using it and there is some software that allows you to link the GPS to your computer and download the data. However, this is all expensive stuff.

regards

Fitshase

TBH1 19:43 31 May 2003

220 mtrs or 170 - - - - you ain't gonna reach in one are ya ??????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?