harddrive data from the past

ronalddonald 18:43 12 Mar 2008

I recently bought a harddrive from PC World. I put xp home onto it. I was using sage software part of a course i was doing and decided to take sage of completely. I also deleted the files from the c drive. I also did a search on the start menu and tped in sage and files came up from the year 2003, some files some called sagebarclays, sagenatwest etc. now i have deleted those but im wondering if the harddrivwe was used for something else b4 i brought it. I brought the harddrive in good faith and as new

Forum Editor 19:22 12 Mar 2008

that the files in question are from an earlier user, and not just files left over from your installation? It's quite possible for a recent version of Sage to contain files that were originally written several years ago, and if they haven't been altered (by Sage) since then they would still contain the original date stamp.

Being sold a drive as new that appears to contain data from a previous owner is very irritating, to say the least. Was the drive packaging intact when you bought it?

ronalddonald 19:59 12 Mar 2008

It was a Hitachi drive ATA, and the box had two of their security seals on it, the seal stated do not open b4 purchase. The box was brown with the TECH guys sticker on the front it was not a hitachi box. When ig ot home i opened it and the drive as in a sealed moisture bag which i cut opened. Like i have stated i deleted these files but i am little concerend if the drive was placed in the wrong hands. The laptop i have had since 2005, i ttok out te olddrive and put a new one in and installed xp home onto it.

spuds 21:42 12 Mar 2008

If the goods are in a plain brown box with white printed contents label at PCW, they are usually OEM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?