Hard drive upgrade - 12gb to 40gb?

spoone 13:32 15 Jun 2005

I have an ancient 12gb, 700mhz, Pentium 3 (Tiny 1999)Machine running Win XP Pro with 256 Ram. Anyone any idea if I can expect problems upgrading the original hard drive. Heard I may need to change the motherboard and processor, in which case I might as well buy a new system however I enjoy seeing how long this dinosaur will last.

spuds 14:29 15 Jun 2005

Taking the cost into consideration,I would suggest that a new purchase is more advicable. I have upgraded three older pc's, and in the end it was just not worth the bother.Use the one you have now as a spare plaything.

Curio 15:04 15 Jun 2005

Try a USB Hard Drive. That will increase Filing space on your Tiny Dinosaur. When it eventually dies, the USB drive can be connected to a new PC

Gaz 25 17:58 15 Jun 2005

I have a time pc, same company now anyway. The HDD will not upgrade in mine, so I doubt it will in yours.

The BIOS does not detect my new 80Gb, so it's pointless. I already have new systems but I just wanted to install linux to it and get a running system to mess about with. All failed in the end, and I spent £46 so might as well have just got a new barebones for £150

I'd suggest you buy new, or use the USB HDD external as an option till it dies. :-(

joethebow 21:40 15 Jun 2005

The problem with a USB HDD is that it is very very slow. I recently upgraded a Tiny PC from a dead 40Gb to a new Segate 80Gb. I had 2 problems:

1. The plugs had been glued to the HDD using a heat gun and I had to carefully cut them out with a Stanley knife.

2. I formatted the disk using a Win 98 boot disk and then used the Tiny restore CD. Would you believe it reformatted the disk to 60Gb!

Still, the purpose of the operation was to make the PC work again and this was achieved.

However, it's worth scouring around and finding if one of your friends has a spare HDD you can try first before parting with money. I'm lucky, I can usualy find such things for a loan.

DieSse 22:51 15 Jun 2005

It's possible your BIOS will be limited to 32Gb maximum. Most drives will have a jumper on them to do this. That's the easiest way. You can still use your drive in a new system in the future, simply by taking the jumper off.

Howevere 80Gb drives are almost the same price, and you can usually do the same with them too.

If you want to get a little cleverer, if you get a Seagate or Maxtor drive, you can download software which will fool the system into using the full capacity.

And it is even possible that your system will work fine with a bigger drive anyway - some from around that age will.

Gaz 25 23:18 16 Jun 2005

Or a PCI IDE controller even, that works. I couldnt run linux on it but windows works fine for me.

Also, if you do have an external drive - use USB 2 by fitting a USB 2.0 card. These seem to be very cheap now.

georgemac © 07:40 17 Jun 2005

I have just upgraded a mates tiny PC. The bios limited the 80 GByte hard drive to 64 GByte, earlier mobob may limit it to 32 mbyte.

If I had bought a Maxtor or Seagate drive as stated above, the software available from the websites would get round this problem, but writing some info on the master boot record to fool the bios. This apparently works well.

It is a P3 450, I upgraded the RAM from 128 to 384 Mbytes, and had it connected wirelessly through my router - I was surprised how good the performance was, even quite good when loading apps - for internet/music playing it will be great.

The only thing I will advise my mate to do is add a USB2 card, as I think his son will be using an MP3 palyer for transfers, they are around £12 delivered from the USB store

georgemac © 07:41 17 Jun 2005

The pci ide controller card would be the ideal way to go, PC133 ones are around £25, but it may be possible to pick up a cheapo ata66 on Ebay click here

wee eddie 08:38 17 Jun 2005

There should be no reason why one shouldn't partition the External HDD into what might be described as "Bite sized" chunks.

e.g. several 32Gb partitions (or whatever size suits your OS)

spoone 17:48 17 Jun 2005

Cheers for all the advice. I shall mull!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?