Hard Disk recorder for SKY

PHILL1 21:15 10 Jan 2008

Hi,

Forgive me for sounding thick but i am thinking about buying a hard disk recorder but i want to record SKY. Can i buy any or do i need a SKY + box.

Thank you

Strawballs 22:23 10 Jan 2008

You can use any and connect it via scart but you will only be able to record what you are watching on the Sky channels, I have the Virgin V+ box and if the Sky+ box is the same it has 3 recivers so you can record 2 while watching a 3rd.

laurie53 07:44 11 Jan 2008

Sky + box only has two tuners, so you can only record two channels at once, but you can watch an already recorded programme while recording another two.

I'm open to correction on this, but I'm pretty sure you need a Sky+ subscription to be able to record.

harps1h 08:21 11 Jan 2008

you do need a sky subscription to use the benefits of the sky+ box. however as it only has two tuners you can watch one channel whilst recording another, record 2 channels at the same time, watch a prerecorded programme whilst recording another, but you cannot watch a third whilst recording 2 programs similtaneously or you are given a program clash warning. i researched this carefully before getting it and all the magazines etc said sky+ was the market leader. it also has dropped the £10 extra subscription from july 07 and is available at your standard package tariff. all you pay for is the box and installation

laurie53 08:38 11 Jan 2008

"watch a prerecorded programme whilst recording another"

Just to confirm, you can watch a prerecorded programme while recording two others, since the prerecorded channel does not use a tuner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?