Half Height Graphics Card - Help needed

ldorman 13:15 29 Dec 2007

Hi, I know there is already a thread about this in this forum, but I would really appreciate a clearer definition of these cards and whether they are the same thing as low profile graphics cards, and also some pointers on as to where I can buy them.

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 530s, not realising that although it looks all sleek and lovely, it offers me little to no room for graphics card upgrades.

I am not looking to play the newest games at the highest specs, I'd just like a decent framerate (around 30-40fps) on games like BF2, Call of Duty and Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion.

Atm I'm stuck with the frankly poop ATI 2400XT that comes with it.

Thanks in advance.

Totally-braindead 13:37 29 Dec 2007

If you saw the other thread then you will see links to what is available in the way of low profile cards.

They are exactly the same power etc as the normal cards but are just smaller but as I'm sure you have noticed the choices are very limited.
I can only assume manufacturers don't make many low profile cards because there are relatively few PCs sold that need a low profile card.

Half height is as far as I am aware just another way of refering to low profile.
If I a wrong in this assumption then I'm sure someone will correct me.

ldorman 15:22 29 Dec 2007

Thanks for clearing that up, you were the one who found the 8600 GT on the overclocker's site weren't you?

Was there ever any follow up on that card from someone who actually bought it? How are you sure that it will fit in my pc? It's just that the product's picture doesn't look like I expect it to look.

I'm looking for this click here

But the overclocker's one looks like this
click here

Totally-braindead 15:57 29 Dec 2007

Yeah it was this one I found wasn't it?
click here

I see your concern, personally I would email them and ask if thats what the card looks like, perhaps its just a stock picture as it certainly doesn't look like a low profile card to me, it looks like a standard graphics card which would not fit. Explain to them what PC you have and that it needs to be a low profile card but the picture they have on the site does not appear to be low profile.

ldorman 16:14 29 Dec 2007

Sounds like a plan, thanks a bunch I will see where that gets me.

Totally-braindead 16:14 29 Dec 2007

This is what a low profile card should look like as I'm sure you know click here either their description is wrong or their picture is wrong and the only way you would find out is by contacting them.

I've looked through the companies I usually use for bits and cannot find anyone else selling a low profile card of this type, they are all less powerful cards.

Totally-braindead 16:22 29 Dec 2007

Look at this click here item number 19 contains some info on low profile cards and mentions the one you have been looking at.

ldorman 16:27 29 Dec 2007

Really can't thank you enough, I've contacted them but you seem to have found the relevant information incredibly fast.

Totally-braindead 18:51 29 Dec 2007

You are still left with the same problem however and the only ones that can answer it are Overclockers. One of the items is wrong, either the description is wrong or the image they are using is wrong. Until they tell you which it is theres nothing you can do.

Someone else must do these cards but I couldn't find them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?