haggle with dell!

docimac 20:24 28 Sep 2006

Was quite specific on the phone and the assistant kept knocking money oFF, HAVE I GOT A GOOD DEAL?
(NB i have a screen, speakers, 250GB HD and PCI adsl modem to add to this)

Dell dimension 9200
Intel core 2 duo 2.13 Ghz (the 6400)
1 Gb DDR2 RAM (max 4gb)667Mhz
320gb 7200 rpm SATA HDD
DVD RW and DVD read Drives (separate) No floppy
Integrated audio with dolby 7.1 capability.
XP Pro (plus cd), MS works (+various software)
Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX 512MB graphics card.

docimac 20:26 28 Sep 2006

For 844 pounds!

spuds 12:18 29 Sep 2006

Having dealt with Dell on a number of occasions, I find that there are usually a number of ways in getting further discounts for their name 'branded' products. Media advertising discounts, voucher or email special offers, on-line configuration adjustments including warranty and delivery incentives. Then the agent's monthly sales targets, when buying via the telephone.

Try running the same specifications through click here or a similar computer sales/build company, and see if the price works out the same!.

Jackcoms 15:45 29 Sep 2006

"HAVE I GOT A GOOD DEAL?"

And if this Forum decides you haven't, what are you going to do? Send it back??

It's a Dell. They're the biggest and IMHO the best PC manufacturer in the world.

'Nuff said.

961 16:28 29 Sep 2006

End of the month usually good for haggling money off at Dell

Ensure you only take the basic warranty or pay very little (£30?) for on site. If it works out of the box it will work till you're sick of it. Hardware don't go wrong these days and the software faults aren't covered anyway

Don't pay for shipping. Haggle it off. Mention the alternative offer from the local shop where there is no delivery charge

What are you going to use it for? Will the Dimension 5xxx series do instead? Probably another saving

My recent Dell 5100 cost £300 (no screen) What are you getting for the extra £500? Do you need xp pro? Do you need that sooper dooper graphics card. The basic ati card in mine does all I want but then I don't play the latest games

Spuds has other suggestions above that are worth following

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017