Had your gas meter changes recently?

interzone55 17:04 10 Jan 2010

If you've had your gas meter changed recently it would be a good idea to check your bills carefully.

We had our meter changed last year, apparently because the battery couldn't be replaced (??).

When the next gas bill arrived everything seemed OK so we thought nothing of it until this morning when we were working out the gas usage ready to change supplier.

The old meter measured in 100's cubic feet, whereas the new meter is in cubic meters.

When double checking usage figures I noticed that the first bill after the meter change was still in cubic feet, but subsequent bills are in cubic meters. This means we've overpaid that first bill by about 2.8 times. I've taken this up with the supplier and after some discussion they've acknowledged the mistake and are issuing a refund.

The lesson for everyone is to double check your bills after a meter change...

spuds 17:25 10 Jan 2010

I doesn't need a meter change before checking a utility bill. Since going on a combined bill, we have had a number of errors which we have had to question, usually to the suppliers advantage initially I might add.

I think one of the best recently, was when a television consumer program was highlighting some of the errors being made. One person was even threatened with a court summons for not paying their gas bills. The only problem was the house was all electric only, and had always been.

wiz-king 21:28 10 Jan 2010

I have trouble with the electricity meter at my stables, the average quarterly reading over the last few years has been £30 - £40, sometimes the meter has been read sometime it is an estimated bill. So why do I suddenly get a estimated bill for £373? I read the meter and got a bill back for £34.
And they want me to pay by DD - no way!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache