Graphics Upgrade

Falk 22:39 28 May 2005

I have an AMD Athlon 3200+ with 1Gb Ram and currently use a Radeon 9800 128mb. The PC is primarily used for gaming with work and general internet browsing secondary. After looking at the Graphics feature in the magazine I was wondering whether it would be worth purchasing a new card, I have approximately £150 to spend and noticed some cards in the magazine for around that figure however I am unsure of the improvement and whether it is worth the change.

Any help most appreciated.

Totally-braindead 22:47 28 May 2005

Have a look here at their graphics charts click here but I presume you're like me and only have AGP rather than PCI Express.

Falk 23:01 28 May 2005

Thanks I had a look around the site, the charts are good but Im looking to compare the performance of my current card with cards around £150. I know it is inferior but Im wondering whether, as I play games often, it is worth the price to upgrade to one of the newer cards within my price range.

(If I overlooked this information on the site you provided I apologise in advance)

Falk 23:02 28 May 2005

As for the AGP/PCI Express Im afraid Im not sure about that or how to check.

You will get a considerably better card for £150 as you can probably see from Totally-braindead's link but it will only be worth it if your current 9800 is struggling with the games you play.

Once you go past about 25-30 FPS, you cannot see any differnace at all, so although it will be a higher FPS, I doubt you'll notice it.

By the time games are making your 9800 struggle, you could buy an even better card for £150. Of corse this only applies if it isn't struggling at the moment.

As for AGP / PCI Express, unless your changing your motherboard, you will have AGP

Megadrive 09:31 29 May 2005

I would keep the ATI9800 for the moment and hold on till DirectX 10 pops up you would be better off buying a AMD64 CPU and Motherboard if you fancy spending money on your PC click here

If you have to get a new card for £150 I would be looking towards a 6600 GT which is a much better card than the ATI9800 and gives you a leap in performance when using the high quality settings and turning up AA and AF which is a thing that makes the ATI9800 show its age.And it also gives you DX9b and DX9c which allows for much better effects and overall image quality in newer supporting games with a comparable 40% performance increase.

Megadrive 09:32 29 May 2005

Ohh yes with that 3200XP you will be looking for an AGP card.

Totally-braindead 11:57 29 May 2005

Reading what others have said, especially [email protected] I think he may have hit the nail on the head, if you don't have any game which is struggling then wait, as what you can get now for £150 you will probably be able to get in 6 months time for £100 and in the meantime, if you had the latest most fantastic card available you probably couldn't tell the difference between it and what you have already. By the way I have a FX5900 which is not as good as your 9800 and it plays everything without a glitch, including the newest games. When I upgrade, in a year or so maybe, I'll be buying a new motherboard probably as PCI Express seems to be the way to go.

wjrt 12:46 29 May 2005

click here

a hidden advantage of PCI-E perhaps

simonp1 13:06 29 May 2005

Is your System PCI or AGP......

Do you play a lot of online gaming...if so upgrading does improve your gaming experience.

I had a 9800Pro..great card for the money, then moved to a 6600GT and was worth the investment...improved graphics qualitity and speed on FPS..

I have now moved on to a 6800GT and another big improvment in performnce...

For £150, you maybe be able to get a 6800LE..and that would be even better than the 6600GT as you have more pipe lines and can unlock the other pipes lines to a full 16..

Falk 15:58 29 May 2005

As it seems most people are suggesting to wait for a period of time I'll probably do that and may look into getting an upgrade to my CPU when I get a new card as suggested.

Thanks for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?