graphics cards

philvox 15:12 26 Jan 2004

Looking for a pc system ( £1000) to capture/edit video. (e.g. Athlon AMD or Pentium 4, 512mb Ram, 120GB HD)
Have found various systems but a bit baffled by "graphics/capture cards"...i.e. can an nVidea 5200FX 256MB graphics card capture analogue (vhs) video and DV and then process it to digital ?
(assuming that edit software suitable) or would I need addit' outboard equipment 1.e. a breakout box etc ?

Or do I need a Radeon 'All In Wonder' graphics card to do this in one operation ?

Phil

duckers 00:54 27 Jan 2004

.. a radeon 'all in wonder' card does it all, and is a good solution, Alternatively matrox are a very good manufacturer of video editing equipment.
If its a video editing machine look at something with a big (200gb) plus hard disk and 1gb of ram,,, I see no reason at all why a grand wont get you that as most modern systems at that price are made for gaming and a big lump goes on the graphics card,
try the usuak manufacturers ilke evesham, mesh, etc who will most likely have a system specifically to do video editing.

philvox 15:36 30 Jan 2004

Cheers for the advice Duckers.. I'm off with my grand in my pocket...not literally tho' for any would be muggers out there !!

byfordr 15:53 30 Jan 2004

Hard drives have never been cheaper...you can get a 200gb hd for just over £100 click here May work out cheaper to put a second hard drive in yourself than upgrade a lower capacity drive to a higher capacity one when speccing up your machine. Just a thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?