Graphics card upgrade

Mikeathome 13:29 08 Feb 2006

Hi. I need a new graphics card as mins died price up to £100 I need it for gaming,ie, call of duty 2
I have a packard bell ixtreem 9087.processor amd athlon 2 years old
can anyone advise
thanks jay

rmcqua 14:26 08 Feb 2006

Hi,
I couldn't find your exact model of Packard Bell machine but, assuming that it has an 8x AGP graphics slot, you could try one of these. It's just within your budget. Or, for another £25 or so you could have the 256Mb version.
click here

Mr Beeline 21:56 09 Feb 2006

Hi

I would look at a site like click here
and pick a card that suits your budget. But to be totally honest ... your machine is going to start to struggle pretty soon with the latest games. Even with COD2 you will need to be turning down the detail level and to get a decent frame rate you are probably only looking at a resolution of 800x600, maybe 1024x768 at best and that will be running at low detail levels I would guess. Up and coming games like PREY will probably bring a lot of folks PC's to their knees. A hard truth but PC gaming don't come cheep these days.

Good luck.

Mr Beeline 22:00 09 Feb 2006

Something like the Sapphire X1600 Pro 256MB DDR2 is within your budget and it is available in AGP flavour. Or an OcUK GeForce 6600 GT 256MB DDR3, though this slightly blows your budget, but not by much (on offer this week at OCUK).

Mikeathome 12:53 10 Feb 2006

Hi, Thank you all for your replies, all very helpful
regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?