graphics card advice

Newuser2 20:02 17 Apr 2004

I'm looking for advice as to which graphics card I should buy.
I've read loads of reviews but theres nothing like recommendation.
I'm not to heavily into games but can see that in the future I will be burning video & pictures etc onto DVD's.
The CPU will be an AMD Athlon 64 pos 3200 on a ASUS MBO.

rickimalone 20:10 17 Apr 2004

I have ASUS K8V Motherboard with AMD643000+ cpu.......
I have N'VIDA FX 5900XT which for me is great play all the latest games with ease and backed up with 1GB PC3200 RAM im hitting 5200+ on 3DMark03...

For a low down on card: click here

It can be found quite cheap now and for me the card is very good, i'm preety sure that a few posts regarding "Radeon Pro Lite" cards will come you way, i'd recommend staying clear as the cards are not great performers and really are quite deceptive in that they have the great name but not great performance. You get what you pay for in this world.

Newuser2 21:53 17 Apr 2004

Thanks for your reply rickimalone.
I've checked on pricing & it looks a good bet compared to other boards.

byfordr 18:33 19 Apr 2004

Whats your price range?

Newuser2 21:36 19 Apr 2004

As little as possible.
About the £150 mark.
I've checked the reviews of the Gigabyte card in the top 10 chart in PCA and £ for £ it looks OK.
But any other suggestions are welcome.

rickimalone 23:00 19 Apr 2004

On reading the post again, for around the £70 mark the Radeon 9600 is a good card that will do anything that you would ask of it and as games are not really of an issue it would fine for all that you have put there......

Also though if games were really not an issue at all something like the Radeon 9200 and N'vida 5200 can be got very cheap and will easily cope with what you want it for.........

My brother has the Radeon 9200 in a AMD2400+ set up and the does graphic design at University and he say's it fine for everything he uses it for and it can play games but not with full detail and high frame rates.....

I'm sure if you shop about then you could get quite a cheap card that will give you good visual performance.........

Make sure you shop about though as some places will charge silly money........

byfordr 07:58 20 Apr 2004

£150 9800 pro all day long! Copes with everything you could possibly throw at it click here click here= Run through click here click here click here click here I know there were some available a few weeks back for £130, so worth shopping around. Failing that worth a look at the 9600 pro for around £100.

HTH

R

Bernard2 09:00 20 Apr 2004

I completely agree with byfordr. The Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro has topped the PC Advisor charts for many months and I recently bought one from Komplett for £145 (I believe the price has dropped further since). If this is in your price range I would suggest you look no further.

fourjays 12:32 20 Apr 2004

I originally had an ATI Radeon card (9600 or 9800), which cost me about £130. It was very good performance, but it was unreliable, causing the PC to reboot. It also kept saying the 'VPU had stopped responding'. I eventually returned it to the shop. Im not sure whether it was a fault or what, but I now have an Nvidia Winfast A350 TDH XT (No.7 in PC Advisor). It is a very good card, although I haven't tested it on really tough games yet, it runs games like 'Gun Metal' fine. That cost me about £180. Hope you find a card that suits your needs!

rickimalone 12:55 20 Apr 2004

Have a good think about what you use it for, as if the latest 3D are not an issue a cheap card will do all that a domestic user will need and more.........

The temptation is always there to "buy the best" however if you just doing things like basic image editing and burning dvd'd then a 128mb card for around the 40/50 mark will be fine and will give you a great visual display all round............

If money is not an issue and you want the best then look at Radeon 9800 and N'vida 5900 cards.......

For the midrange cards look at Radeon 9600 and N'vida 5700........

For the budget performance cards Radeon 9200 and N'vida 5200........

Go for a 128mb card and you should be fine with any of the cards mentioned above in the discussion...........

Newuser2 21:22 20 Apr 2004

Many thanks one and all for your time in helping me, its very much appreciated.
I'll check up on all your suggestions and hopefully make the right decision.
All I need is the price of the 3400 CPU to come down and I'll be a happy camper.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?