Grade 2 stock

simon1003 16:51 01 Feb 2003

My parents have asked me to help them choose a new PC.

I bought mine about 6 months ago from the employee sales part of click here

They're a fujitsu-siemens reseller, on their website they claim that there grade 2 stock has been 'soak-tested and that many pc users actually prefer hardware that has gone through such rigorous checks'.

I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the machine that I bought from them, but am a little concerned about recommending them to my parents.

What is soak testing? Any comments on buying from grade 2 stock?

spuds 17:42 01 Feb 2003

Usually to 'soak test' a product, this would undertake various bench test of a perhaps rigious nature.In the case of electrical parts, this would mean conducting various electrical circuit and power checks over a period of test-time.At the end of these checks, various test reading should be available, and if these 'suggest' that the product is good, then that is it.But like all things, this method cannot be 100%, and there is no way of actually telling if the product will fail at a later or earlier stage. Some graded stock will be supplied with a good warranty and others with a very limited or no warranty,so check this out before purchase.The supplier will inform of this.It will be a case of use your own judgement but beware.

Stuartli 20:15 01 Feb 2003

TV, hi-fi, digital camera and computer systems manufacturers, among others, often offer what is termed Grade A stock to the public through their usual retail outlets.

Normally it comprises products which have been returned after being bought new, either because they were faulty or there was some other reason.

They are checked, reconditioned or refurbished where necessary and then offered for sale at a reduced price from new.

Providing they come with a suitable warranty/guarantee covering a reasonable period, then such purchases can provide a bargain buy.

Barry-273472 08:54 02 Feb 2003

Try the Compaq auction site, click here for a new PC with a similar spec to their advertised Scaleo P4 2533,
at £799 inc VAT

Compaq presario 6195EA; AMD 2200+ (marginally slower), delivered in 2 days.
I picked one up for £471+ shipping, £503.25 inc VAT. Superbly quiet machine, warranty until November onsite. Four up for grabs at the moment

Stuartli 11:54 02 Feb 2003

Dell does offers on its refurbished systems:

click here

oresome 12:21 02 Feb 2003

Electronic items typically follow a bathtub curve as far as reliability. High initially, as manufacturing defects come to light, then settle down and are reliable for a long period. They become unreliable again eventually due to age. A soak test before purchase will weed out a lot of the manufacturing defects and hopefully you'll finish up with a very reliable machine.
If a retailer has incurred costs once due to replacing a defective machine, chance are he'll want to make sure it doesn't happen a second time.
So I don't think I'd have any reservations in purchasing such items from a reputable source.

Forum Editor 12:44 02 Feb 2003

varies, and in many cases simply means that the computer has been allowed to run non-stop for 24 or 48 hours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017